3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2009 4:09 AM by jary.busato

Provisioning WinPE Failed to get template

Rookie

Hi,

We've just started to use LDMS Provisioning, and test our first template. After a lot of test deployement (about 30) of the same template, WinPE failed to get my template. He display Retry 1 to 40 of 40, Waiting for template and just show me the menu. The ldprovision.log states "Call web services GetTaskXML()" 40 times then it takes me back to the Provisioning tasks menu. But I can the list of all template without any problem.

Could you help me ?

Thanks in advance !

David

PS: Sorry for my english

• 1. Re: Provisioning WinPE Failed to get template
          Apprentice

Hi David, could you tell us your LDMS version (please specify also the service pack) ?

Sometimes when you upgrade from 8.7 to 8.8 it could be necessary to apply the procedure below:

1-stop all LANDesk and Intel services on the Core Server
          2-make a full backup of the database
          3-execute that sequence of commands:
          C:\Program Files\LANDesk\ManagementSuite\CoreDbUtil.exe /xml=provisioning.xml /buildcomponents /log=C:\PostSetupConfigAll.log
          C:\Program Files\LANDesk\ManagementSuite\prov_createstartnet.exe
          C:\Program Files\LANDesk\ManagementSuite\prov_Loaddb.exe -f "C:\Program Files\LANDesk\ManagementSuite\ENUActionsAndSections.xml"
          C:\Program Files\LANDesk\ManagementSuite\prov_Loaddb.exe -f "C:\Program Files\LANDesk\ManagementSuite\ENUInitialGroups.xml" -u 1
          C:\Program Files\LANDesk\ManagementSuite\prov_Loaddb.exe -f "C:\Program Files\LANDesk\ManagementSuite\PublicVariables.xml"
          C:\Program Files\LANDesk\ManagementSuite\prov_InstallPlugin.exe -a

4-reboot the core

HTH,

Jary

• 2. Re: Provisioning WinPE Failed to get template
            Rookie

Thanks for your answer

We are using LanDesk with a first time installation. The core server was directly installed with LDMS 8.8 and SP2a without upgrade.

I have an opened case with LanDesk support about this problem. He give me a part of the solution with this link. http://community.landesk.com/support/message/11417#11417. I just add the computer mac address in the "bare metal server" section and now it's working. I'm a begginer with LanDesk, so I'm not sure that the normal way to do provisioning... but it's working for me...

David

• 3. Re: Provisioning WinPE Failed to get template
              Apprentice

There are two ways to use it:

1. Create a Bare Metal Machine (it's better to use MAC as identifier) and add it to a provisioning task; start the task, power on the client and boot from PXE. You shouldn't press keys anymore. The Intel PXE server recognize that the machine has a pending provisioning task and automatically send the right PE image. At WinPE level, ldprovision.exe calls GetTaskXML (a web service) which returns the template in XML format. Now the template should start.

2. With no task pending, start the client from network press F8 and choose WinPE Provisioning. When WinPE starts, ldprovision.exe calls GetTaskXML which returns something like "there's nothing to do for this machine"; so you must enter LANDesk credentials and choose the template you want to apply. When you confirm it, server-side a provisioning task only for that machine is created and started. ldprovision calls GetTaskXML again and now receive the template XML and the provisioning start.

HTH,

Jary