8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2016 10:14 AM by brett.chadwick

How to select MySQL database as a default database for Absolute Manage (LANrev)?

justcurios Rookie

Hello,

I'm trying to install and configure Absolute Manage (LANrev), and it always being installed on SQLite database.

I'm curious how to select MySQL database as a default database?

Best,

Tetnia

• 1. Re: How to select MySQL database as a default database for Absolute Manage (LANrev)?
          sgillaspy Apprentice

You might check with Heat Support, but I don't think you can do this.  LANrev has always been based in SQLite.  I don't think it supports MySQL.

• 2. Re: How to select MySQL database as a default database for Absolute Manage (LANrev)?
            patgmac1 Expert

Tetinaa Varktua wrote:

Hello,

I'm trying to install and configure Absolute Manage (LANrev), and it always being installed on SQLite database.

I'm curious how to select MySQL database as a default database?

Best,

Tetnia

Not happening. It's not built to have a DB choice.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: How to select MySQL database as a default database for Absolute Manage (LANrev)?
              robert.morton Apprentice

Everyone is correct. We do not support using MySQL as the primary database. You can setup an ODBC export to a MySQL database if you need access to the data.

• 4. Re: How to select MySQL database as a default database for Absolute Manage (LANrev)?
                paule Rookie

Rob,

Is it possible to use ODBC to export to other DBMS, such as Oracle or Microsoft SQL Server? Our issue is that we don't have resources to support a MySQL installation, yet plenty of Oracle and MSSQL support.

Thanks!

Paul

• 5. Re: How to select MySQL database as a default database for Absolute Manage (LANrev)?
                  patgmac1 Expert

Nope. Only MySQL for the export.

• 6. Re: How to select MySQL database as a default database for Absolute Manage (LANrev)?
                    joshm_beg Rookie

Rob,

I am currently trying to setup an ODBC export to a MySQL server. Are there any tutorials or help files for this? I keep setting it up, but after a couple of minutes (export interval is set to 1 minute for testing) the ODBC setting in LANrev Admin becomes disabled. I looked in the log file for LANrev server and I do see that it says:

ODBC Export failed (1): Unknown error in ODBC export - check ODBC export log (status=-29289).

But I cannot find the ODBC export log anywhere in the local log directories. I tested an ODBC export from Access into the same MySQL DB that I'm using and it worked perfectly the first time. I'm just not sure what is creating the problem.

Do you know where I can find the ODBC log file? Or do you know of any documentation besides the help file included with the Admin software on ODBC connections in LANrev Admin?

Thanks,

Josh

• 7. Re: How to select MySQL database as a default database for Absolute Manage (LANrev)?
                      robert.morton Apprentice

There is a document for ODBC Export Guide. You should contact support and have them send you the location of the guide.

Rob

Now with NASA...again

• 8. Re: How to select MySQL database as a default database for Absolute Manage (LANrev)?
                        brett.chadwick Apprentice

We have the details now included in the Users Admin Guide.

The following is included in the users guide, we have tested with MySQL and the MYODBC driver. Likely to work with others but not tested or supported so if you are using the above it should function as expected. Page 128-129 of the Windows Server Users Guide.

LANrev Server can automatically export data from its database at specified intervals over an ODBC connection, allowing the target database to be used for a range of applications such as logging, backup, or reporting.

Preparing for ODBC export

To be able to use LANrev’s ODBC export feature, you need:

• a database that can be accessed via ODBC
                        • a compatible ODBC driver
                        • an account in the database that can create tables and insert

data

See the documentation of the database or the ODBC driver for details on installing and configuring this software.

While LANrev is expected to be compatible with a wide range of ODBC software, it has currently only been tested with MySQL and the MyODBC driver. We cannot guarantee compatibility with other databases and drivers.

ODBC export

1. From the File menu, choose Export.
                          The operating system’s Save dialog opens.
                        2. From the dialog’s File Format pop-up menu, choose the desired format. Specify a name and location for the export file and click Save.

The data from the window is exported in the specified format to the specified location.

LANrev Server can automatically export data from its database at specified intervals over an ODBC connection, allowing the target database to be used for a range of applications such as logging, backup, or reporting.

Preparing for ODBC export

To be able to use LANrev’s ODBC export feature, you need:

• a database that can be accessed via ODBC
                        • a compatible ODBC driver
                        • an account in the database that can create tables and insert

data

See the documentation of the database or the ODBC driver for details on installing and configuring this software.

While LANrev is expected to be compatible with a wide range of ODBC software, it has currently only been tested with MySQL and the MyODBC driver. We cannot guarantee compatibility with other databases and drivers.

Setting up ODBC export

To set up LANrev for ODBC support, you configure the required access information and desired update interval on the LANrev server:

1. In the Server Center window, click the Server > Server Settings category.

The Server Settings dialog is displayed.

NOTE

LANrev User Guide

Gathering and managing information

1. Click the dialog’s ODBC Export tab.
                        2. Check Enable ODBC support and fill in the fields:
                          • Database type: The kind of database management system connected via ODBC.

• Data source name (DSN): The name of the data source as defined in ODBC.
                          • Database server address: The IP address or DNS name of the database server.
                          • Database name: The name of the database on the server in which the information from LANrev is to be stored.
                          • Database username: The database account that LANrev

is to use to store the data.

• Database password: The password for the database user

account.

• Database password verification: Repeat the password

here to guard against typos.

• Export interval: The desired interval in which LANrev

export data to the database.

• Send e-mail when ODBC export fails: Check this option

and enter an e-mail address in the Recepient field to have LANrev send out automatic notifications when the ODBC export could not be completed. You can enter multiple addresses separated by commas. (Sending e-mail requires the SMTP information in the Notification tab to be filled in.)

Note: Apart from the data source name, you can leave all fields empty if the corresponding information is specified in the data source.

3. Click OK.

The settings are stored on the server; the export is initiated

immediately and in the specified interval from then on.