4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2016 5:03 PM by crodriguez1

My Automation for Automatic App Installations on iPads and Difference between Device and User License Assignment with iOS 9

crodriguez1 Rookie

Before iOS 9 I came up with the following solution for automatic app installations for our shared devices:

We have a boolean custom field value for each of our Apps. Then we create a policy using the custom field. If the field is set to yes then the device was sent to that policy and received the automatic installation of said app.

With iOS 9 we have the ability to assign apps to a device instead of a user and send an install command for the app. BUT I have not seen automatic installations work for my iPads that do not have a user assigned/vpp enrolled for my policies.

Can Policies be used for automatic App Assignment for devices that do not have a user assigned to them? If so is there anything I need to do to enable this? Has anyone else been working with this?

The automatic assignment and installation for applications is key to maintaining our fleet of 3,000 iPads. I can easily check and uncheck custom fields for numbers of iPads and have them install or remove apps on the fly.

Regards,

Casey Rodriguez

• 1. Re: My Automation for Automatic App Installations on iPads and Difference between Device and User License Assignment with iOS 9
          baotran Apprentice

Yes, I've done this with an iPad Mini that has no iTunes account configured on it nor have I accepted a VPP invitation on it so it should work. The drawback to device based licenses as far as I can tell is that every app installation requires the end user to tap to accept the application. So if you have 20 apps set for autdeploy the user will get prompted 20 times on their device, once for each app. This is not a problem for a user-based volume license because by opting into the VPP program and agreeing to the terms and conditions, they're explicitly agreeing to have apps pushed silently to the device going forward.

The problem with user-based volume licenses is the requirement that an Apple ID be configured on the device, which is difficult in some circumstances with children under 13. There's Apple IDs for students but sometimes it's hard to get parents to set up them up for their kids. I believe Apple now has a program to create institutional Apple IDs that should work around this.

I did initially have a problem with my iPad 3 that had previously been registered with VPP. It didn't seem to want to accept a device based app. However, after I deleted the device entry, removed the enrollment profile, and re-enrolled it worked correctly. I was in a hurry and did not try to troubleshoot it further.

If you planning on switching to device-based licenses there's a command to do this in 6.9.3 that described in the user guide as shown below.

LANrev_User_Guide_pdf__page_243_of_927_.png

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: My Automation for Automatic App Installations on iPads and Difference between Device and User License Assignment with iOS 9
            crodriguez1 Rookie

Thanks for the response.

What I'm understanding from your post is the following:

1. Policies with auto-install apps DO work for Devices that do not have a User assigned/vpp enrollment.

2. With policies the user has to accept the app installation. So if a policy has 20 apps in it then they have to accept 20 times.

3. This only seemed to work after you deleted the device value from HeatLANrev, allowed it to come back from DEP and then assigned/accepted a fresh enrollment profile. Only then you would see the policy work as intended.

I'll test this out today. I've already been able to assign apps to devices or convert them from user to device. I also did not experience a pop up screen to accept an installation when I chose "Install Application" to a device with no AppleID that had the license assigned to the device.

• 3. Re: My Automation for Automatic App Installations on iPads and Difference between Device and User License Assignment with iOS 9
              crodriguez1 Rookie

*UPDATE*

I was able to have one of my iPad Minis automatically install the apps and it did not request for an install on each one. I STILL want to have this method detailed and straightforward though for the rest of our 3,000 strong fleet.

What I did in this test:

Removed the device from LANrev and waited for it to reload.

When it reloaded I tried to assign it to my policies but since their was no enrollment user nothing happened on the iPad.

I set an enrollment user (which does have a VPP accepted) and nothing happened.

Chose the "convert from user to device" for the licenses.
              Refreshed VPP data. Still nothing.

Then chose "Retry failed applications"

That worked. The apps then proceeded to install automatically.

What I WANT is for brand new iPads to come into the system. Enroll. Have their custom fields set so they fly into my Smart Policies and automatically install the apps. I don't want to THEN ensure there is a enrollment user assigned, convert apps from user to device, and then tell the iPad to retry all failed applications.

We also do not user the direct "install applications" command because of it being tedious. Selecting a custom field and then having an app install was our fastest and most efficient method of deployment.

I will try this again with an iPad that I do not remove from LANrev

Regards,

Casey

• 4. Re: My Automation for Automatic App Installations on iPads and Difference between Device and User License Assignment with iOS 9
                crodriguez1 Rookie

So HERE is the answer I've been looking for and hopefully this will be helpful to other HEATlanrev users:

If you have a PRE-EXISTING policy before 6.9.3 or 6.9.2 with apps in the policy and want those apps to automatically install/assign to devices without users/vpp you have to drop the specifics apps back into the policy to refresh it.

Once you drop the app back in then you will be given the following screen where you can input which VPP account the licenses will pull from for device assigned licenses

AppAssignment.png

After this has been completed any device you drop in the policy that is iOS 9 or higher will have the app properly assigned and automatically installed. In some instances I will have to separate a single app into multiple policies due to licenses being on different VPP accounts.