11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2016 11:26 AM by william.drain@glazers.com

How to diagnose Computer Warranty Information?

swimber@emory.edu Apprentice

The Warranty Information that broke in a prior version was fixed in 6.9.3, wasn't it?

I now have the Windows Agent 6.9.3 on 105 Dell workstations and I have warranty information for 72.  How would I troubleshoot the other 33 machines to see why the warranty information is not updating?

On several sample machines where the agent was upgraded three days ago I have logged in and run "machinewarranty.exe --vd DELL --%ServiceTag%" and I get output like the following (masking ServiceTag) but how do I get that information to update on the LANrev server for the Admin Console to show?

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>ExpirationDate</key>

<date>2012-08-15T23:59:59Z</date>

<key>Serialnumber</key>

<string>%ServiceTag%</string>

<key>Status</key>

<string>Expired</string>

<key>ShippingDate</key>

<date>2008-08-15T00:00:00Z</date>

</dict>

</plist>

• 1. Re: How to diagnose Computer Warranty Information?
          patgmac1 Expert

I found I was having the same problem so I opened a ticket. Turns out this may have been caused by a temporary condition on Dell's end and LANrev has a hard limit of 10 attempts before it gives up. According to support, LANrev switched to using the Dell API with the 6.9 agent, so this problem shouldn't occur anymore. But you need to get your machines to "try again".

Here's how to fix it:

1. Create a smart group that shows affected machines:

And other for 32-bit:

2. Use the "Edit registry command" to change the "FailureCounter_S32" value back to zero. You can make these repeating commands if desired.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Pole Position Software\LANrev Agent\ComputerHWWarranty_dic\FailureCounter_S32

Again for 32-bit:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Pole Position Software\LANrev Agent\ComputerHWWarranty_dic\FailureCounter_S32

Once this value has been changed back to 0 (or any value below 10), the next time the inventory is gathered, it'll populate the warranty data again.

Bonus tip...

You can also create a custom info item to monitor this:

• 2. Re: How to diagnose Computer Warranty Information?

Patrick, Thank you for updating this old thread as the problem still exists.

Your resolution is something I had in with Absolute Manage 6.8 and has not done any good to date with LANrev 7.0.  I opened a case with Absolute Software and worked with someone back then and I was told that this was a known issue and would be fixed in the next version, which turned out to be 6.9.3.  Needless to say 6.9.3 did not fix the issue and I have not seen that 7.0 has a fix either. 

The Windows registry entry you point towards is set in our environment via GPO rather than LANrev but it is set to zero regularly.  I have verified on many machines that the registry entry is indeed resetting, but the LANrev server never picks up on the warranty information.  The workstations I have checked manually can all pull warranty from the manufacturer, but it is not getting to the server.

I am missing warranty information from Apple Macintosh, Dell and Lenovo computers.

The question remains; How to diagnose the computer warranty information?

• 3. Re: How to diagnose Computer Warranty Information?
              patgmac1 Expert

Does the warranty get to the registry?

You can try manually checking warranty to make sure lookups are working. Specify your own serial # obviously.

The Apple warranty will not work anymore. Apple started requiring a CAPTCHA on their public site. They want people/vendors to use the GSX api, which AFAIK, LANrev devs are working on. But GSX access is not easy to come by.

• 4. Re: How to diagnose Computer Warranty Information?
                patgmac1 Expert

There's also the reg value: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Pole Position Software\LANrev Agent\LastComputerHWWarrantyInfoDate. It's binary but if that's present, it might keep the warranty from being checked again? Not sure of that, but try deleting it on 1 affected machine.

• 5. Re: How to diagnose Computer Warranty Information?

The warranty information is not present in the spot checking I have done.  While working with the Absolute Manage support technician I am told that the MachineWarranty.exe file uses the system account and the system does have full control of the registry entries. 

When I execute the MachineWarranty.exe manually, it returns the correct information.  What needs to happen to get LANrev to execute the same file and update the database?

• 6. Re: How to diagnose Computer Warranty Information?

Yes, I reset the registry for both 32 bit and 64 bit machines via GPO.

I had no idea that the Apple warranty information was a known issue, again the last thing I heard was from an Absolute Manage technician working my open case that said that the lack of warranty information was a known issue and "would be fixed in the next version."

• 7. Re: How to diagnose Computer Warranty Information?
                      william.drain@glazers.com Apprentice

Stephen,

Any word on the Warranty working again?

• 8. Re: How to diagnose Computer Warranty Information?
                        sthon Apprentice

Luckily I just found this thread. All our Dells seem to have the tries exceeded. I reset it on my own PC and retried a full inventory, but alas, no new warranty information and the counter went up again.

• 9. Re: How to diagnose Computer Warranty Information?

I opened a ticket with heat tech support on this last week, hopefully they will have a resolution to the Dell inventory issue I can share this week.

• 10. Re: How to diagnose Computer Warranty Information?

I have no warranty information, but I have not upgraded beyond 7.0.  I am just now starting to consider an upgrade again.

Sorry for the delay, I have been ignoring the Heat emails, I have well over 100 unread at the moment.

• 11. Re: How to diagnose Computer Warranty Information?

It now has been fixed with LANrev 7.3. The Dell API changed.

for older version of LANrev

1) copy and replace the patternconfig.xml from Kb 25424 to %programfiles%\Pole Position Software\LANrevAgent\MachineWarranty on a client

2) and reset the registry value  "%HKLM_Softwarex32%\Pole Position Software\LANrev Agent\ComputerHWWarranty_dic\"  FailureCounter_S32 to 0

3) after the next inventory you should Dell warranty info.