5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 10, 2016 9:22 PM by gw_1966

Problem with Custom Inventory

gw_1966 Rookie

Hi.

Just to let everyone know, the custom inventory option that has been with the Patch and Remediation product (Formally Lumension) does not function on 64 bit machine properly anymore.

427 How to: Activate the Update Agent for Windows Custom Inventory Collector - Patch & Remediation

I logged a call with Heat about this (TS0117985 ) and support acknowledged the issue.

I was also asked to log a feature request ticket to bring back a function that used to be there???

Anyway the problem is that I have now lost a valuable function of this product and am not impressed as I haven't heard anything about the feature request ticket and when this issue may be addressed apart from "you are right, it doesn't work now".

Can I please get this function fixed up in the next update?

Grant.

• 1. Re: Problem with Custom Inventory
          brett.chadwick Apprentice

Hope you are well.

Thanks for the information, I will have a look into it and see what we can do.

I was not aware of the custom inventory no longer functioning for x64 machines.

Does this happen under a specific OS for you? Win7, Win8, 2012?

When you try the custom inventory does it return an error or anything in the logs?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Problem with Custom Inventory
            gw_1966 Rookie

Hi Brett.

Please look at case TS0117985. This explains the issue and that the heat support team were able to replicate issue.

Issue is with our entire 64 bit environment, 32 bit machines pick up ok but they will disappear soon.

Grant.

• 3. Re: Problem with Custom Inventory
              brett.chadwick Apprentice

Okay, I have reviewed the ticket. I understand at this stage I guess we don't have anyone else using the custom inventory on x64 machines. I have rarely needed to test custom inventory functions so can't  confirm from my side. The custom inventory is a long standing feature, but as implemented was designed for x32 machines and does not exist in x64 form so when called it fails to be able to pull x64 specific information from a x64 machine. I would assume that x32 values can still be pulled but have not tested it.

As such this is the perfect forum to bring this up as PM, and other Heat employees are looking at the forums. Thank you for bringing this up as I would like to see that the custom inventory functions on x64 machines the same as it does on x32. This may be a simple fix or more complex but we won't know until we break into it and have a look.

For anyone else that is interested in this.

The Patch module inside the EMSS platform has the ability to perform custom inventory, custom detections on endpoint machines.

This custom inventory process has existed since x32 machines were the only, and standard architecture. The custom inventory has not had any major changes and is working as designed on x32 machines. However as the world has progressed and we now mostly rely on x64 machines the custom inventory no longer functions as it relies on x32 libraries and these libraries would have no access or knowledge of x64 specific information, take for example the SysWoW64 directory or SysWoWx64 registry keys on a x64 machine.

In this case a updated set of libraries would be required for x32, this could be simple through a recompilation or more likely require new/updated libraries to be created and used. A potential workaround might be to leverage PowerShell on the endpoint to dump the data into the expected format and let the custom inventory simply do the collection but further options will need to be investigated.

• 4. Re: Problem with Custom Inventory
                gw_1966 Rookie

Hi Brett.

Thanks for the update of what the fix might be. I would like to see a bit of movement on this issue. I brought this to Heats support desk attention 3 months ago and have heard nothing since? I find this strange this would not be sorted quickly as the product has lost some of its functionality without notice?

Have you heard anything from the programmers on this issue?

Grant.

• 5. Re: Problem with Custom Inventory
                  gw_1966 Rookie

Hi.

I am very, very disappointed that there has been no feedback on this issue?

Grant.