8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2016 11:06 AM by swimber@emory.edu

Windows Agent 7.0 via SD: Another version of this product is already installed?

swimber@emory.edu Apprentice

I have installed LANrev 7.0, created a customized agent and when I install manually it works great, it upgrades the prior version (6.9 or 6.9.3) and it is configured the way I like immediately with Check for updates and check for third party updates.

When I create a Software Distribution deployment of this same agent I have seen errors in the "LANrev Agent.log" file on 4 of 4 machines that say "Another version of this product is already installed."  I have created the package to push the msi file with a /quiet switch, using as a guide the actions I have used in prior versions as well as documentation I read several versions ago regarding custom agent deployment and I have not seen updated.

The full error: "2016-04-02 10:46:09.747 [280:c84]  <2> - CCobraClientSDTask::ProcessPackages: Error 'Another version of this product is already installed. Installation of this version cannot continue. To configure or remove the existing version of this product, use Add/Remove Programs on the Control Panel.  (Error=1638).' occurred while installing package 'LANrev Agent (Windows) 7.0.0 DCL'."

What could I do to get a custom agent deployment working?

Thank you

• 1. Re: Windows Agent 7.0 via SD: Another version of this product is already installed?

After reviewing the Agent Deployment Guide.pdf I have changed the installer from the MSI to "setup.exe /s /v /qn" which is now working as expected.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Windows Agent 7.0 via SD: Another version of this product is already installed?
            baotran Apprentice

You should never roll your own agent updaters. Every time you upgrade the server it should create 2 agent updater packages automatically in the Server Center. Please use these pre-built ones instead. Basically you're asking the agent to upgrade itself and report on it, which requires some special stuff to go on so that the installation status is sent back correctly to the server. Rolling your own updaters would upgrade the agent but it's probably never going to get past the Installation Started stage in the installation status reports.

• 3. Re: Windows Agent 7.0 via SD: Another version of this product is already installed?

When using Active Directory as the ONLY method to deploy to new agents, this would mean pushing an old version of LANrev until ALL machines had upgraded.  Could anyone chime in on best practices for agent deployment when Active Directory is the _only_ deployment tool?

Thank you

• 4. Re: Windows Agent 7.0 via SD: Another version of this product is already installed?
                patgmac1 Expert

Stephen Wimberly wrote:

When using Active Directory as the ONLY method to deploy to new agents, this would mean pushing an old version of LANrev until ALL machines had upgraded. Could anyone chime in on best practices for agent deployment when Active Directory is the _only_ deployment tool?

Thank you

I'm confused. Are you needing to upgrade the agent? Or initial install?

Upgrades should be handled within LANrev using the built-in updater.

For initial install via GPO, use the MSI (see my GPO for this) (note to others, Stephen and I work at the same edu).

• 5. Re: Windows Agent 7.0 via SD: Another version of this product is already installed?

I need to deploy to new agents via Active Directory, but if I put the new version out there then my existing agents that have not upgraded via LANrev will also run the same installer.

Case in point, I have 507 agents and have attempted the upgrade via LANrev with the built-in updater to all 507 but only 360 have upgraded.  I have another 147 machines that have either failed the upgrade via LANrev or "have issues."  If I upload the new installer to Active Directory to catch new deployments, how would I keep these 147 from attempting the upgrade with the GPO version?

• 6. Re: Windows Agent 7.0 via SD: Another version of this product is already installed?
                    patgmac1 Expert

If you're using a batch file install, then you need to build in the logic to decide if it needs the agent. Something like

if not exists "%programfiles(x86)%\Pole Position Software\LANrevAgent\lanrev agent"

But if you use the MSI method, it will use the msi product code to determine if the agent is installed or not.

Regarding the "broken agents", is there any harm in them trying to install anyway? Or is it causing a problem? I have a bunch of borked agents still out there too from the 6.9.3 update but I haven't figured out how to get them fix yet.

• 7. Re: Windows Agent 7.0 via SD: Another version of this product is already installed?

I have not yet tested an upgrade to the GPO, the GPO is still pushing 6.9 via msi so I am not sure if this would break anything.  As earlier in this thread I have attempted to update agents using a custom export of the agent so that may have messed things up for me.  I have seen instances where installs from the LANrev Agent Deployment Center attempt to upgrade an existing agent and I am left with a computer with no agent at all.

Some computers that are not reporting or don't even show an agent installed still claim that an install of version 7.0 will be an upgrade, but once the prior version fails to backup (it's not there!) then the upgrade fails and reverts back to my prior state.

I have found the following to fix my "broken" agents in each case I have found:  1. Install 6.9 using the msi (Likely because this is pushed via GPO), 2. Install 6.9 using Setup.exe and then 3. Install 7.0 using Setup.exe.  Where this is working, it's time consuming and this will take a while.  I was using a script that removed the agent on remote computers but with version 7.0 that stopped working, there must be files, folders or registry settings I have not yet found.

• 8. Re: Windows Agent 7.0 via SD: Another version of this product is already installed?

Via GPO I pushed 6.9.0 (Waiting until all were updated before pushing current version) and when I installed 7.0 I found that 6.9 was still pushed via GPO and I am left with a system with two agents (Absolute Manage Agent 6.9 and LANrev Agent 7.0) and in many instances neither would send a heartbeat and neither were detected via Agent Deployment Center.  A new install from Agent Deployment Center would succeed.

Via GPO I changed the install to push 7.0 (modeled after Patrick Gallagher's GPO in our same enterprise) and now I find that our 6.9 agents attempt to upgrade but fail in the upgrade process leaving me with a system with a 6.9 agent that does not heartbeat and is not detected via Agent Deployment Center.

My question stands; What is the "correct" or "best" way to provide upgrades?  Do I continue pushing the older version until all agents are upgraded or do I push the new version and pick up the pieces later?  As Patrick stated, I could provide my own script wrapper but I thought I would poll for best practices before doing anything that isn't in the LANrev documentation.