9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2017 3:15 PM by Mike90

How to add a pick list (drop-down box) on Journal.Email form which will trigger a corresponding Journal.Email quick action.

chooi Apprentice

Has anyone been able to achieve the following?

I would like to add a pick list to the Journal Email form, which contains a list of email templates. 

When an item is selected from the pick list, it will trigger a corresponding quick action, similar to the Reply, Response and Forward buttons triggering the corresponding quick actions.

The aim is for our Service Desk staff to quickly select and fill in the correct email template. They are currently, cutting and pasting from elsewhere which is not very efficient.  The pick list will filter template types according to different teams.

I know how to create a validation object, a pick list, quick actions and add a text field for pick list to the form but I do not know how to trigger the quick action when a item is selected from the list.

Below is an example of what the email form will look like with the Template field.

• 1. Re: How to add a pick list (drop-down box) on Journal.Email form which will trigger a corresponding Journal.Email quick action.
          frederic.kolb@esdi.fr Rookie

Hi,

Have you already tried to add a triggered action on Journal.Email (see screenshot below) ?

Instead of the category field you will find your template field.

Then when clicking Next you will be able to use a copy of an existing quick action from Journal.Email (choose the right one in the picklist)

Hope this helps,

Frederic

• 2. Re: How to add a pick list (drop-down box) on Journal.Email form which will trigger a corresponding Journal.Email quick action.
            Apprentice

I've not tested this but can you not have the dropdown and an update button next to it which takes the details of the dropdown and replaces the fields existing data? That way you can edit them before clicking send

• 3. Re: How to add a pick list (drop-down box) on Journal.Email form which will trigger a corresponding Journal.Email quick action.
              frederic.kolb@esdi.fr Rookie

Hi Chris,

I had a similar customer need and I have done something different.

First I have created a new BO called EmailTemplates, the ServiceDesk Manager can access to add / edit / delete templates

Fields concerned are Name of the model (displayed in the picklist), subject and email description.

Then I have added a child panel on the layout used by ServiceDesk Analyst. This panel allows to select an email template previously created (subject and description are automatically updated from the template). The SDA can edit subject and description before clicking the send email button who calls a send email quick action a send the mail to the customer email adrress.

Hope this helps

• 4. Re: How to add a pick list (drop-down box) on Journal.Email form which will trigger a corresponding Journal.Email quick action.
                joetetley Apprentice

It's quite difficult to get to the e-mail templates from Activity History as the menu wants e-mail or notes.  One way would be to split e-mails onto a separate tab with it's own relationship.  The templates should then appear under the new menu.

However, I did a similar thing to this using a button and a separate business object.  First I created a business object called Autofill Notes to hold the notes/templates, this included subject (optional) and e-mail body (make sure the field types are the same e.g. make the E-mail body HTML).  This has a Many to 1 relationship to Journal.Email.  Next I created a picklist for the Autofill Titles.  I then put a button onto Journal.Email, which runs a quick action to prompt for the link:

This updates the e-mail with the results of the Autofill Note selected.  I found that including the EmailBody rather than over-writing every time means responses can be built up from multiple notes.  I then gave the users a page layout so they can update the text in the notes and create new ones themselves.

A couple of drawbacks I've found with this approach is that the contents of the note need to go either before or after the existing text which takes people some getting used to.  The other issue I've yet to solve is inserting the contents of fields into the body of the note.

• 5. Re: How to add a pick list (drop-down box) on Journal.Email form which will trigger a corresponding Journal.Email quick action.
                  dcogny Expert

HI,

I downloaded a file from the FrontRange Knowledge base that explains a better way to use templates... It's focused on Incidents, but pretty sure it can be use in other BOs. I can't find it again so you can download it, so I Copy/Paste for you:

Journal.Email Object Templates

If you wish to configure templates, you have to create templates, and create an Email tab on the Incident object, in order to see the templates specific to Journal.Email (templates for Journal.Email do not work within the Activity History tab out of the box).

1.- Go to Configure Application, and navigate to Object Templates:

1.PNG

2.- Click the option to Show All Objects:

2.PNG

3.- Click Add/Edit on Journal.Email:

3.PNG

4.- Go to Create New Actions and select Template:

4.PNG

5.- We can now create a few templates. Remember to select the roles to Publish to, and select the Category as “Email” (the only available
                  option):

5.PNG

Remember that pulling attributes from another object into a field should be an expression in the form $([Incident#.]IncidentNumber  where Incident#. Is the reference to the other object, and IncidentNumber is the attribute or field from that other incident.

For an example, I created a simple template for an incident update (shown above) with a compound expression $("Update for Incident#" + [Incident#.]IncidentNumber)  to format the Subject field.

6.- With your templates configured, you then need to add an additional Child panel to ‘Incident’ for just email. You can’t use ‘Activiy History’ as its relationship is to Journal, not Journal.Email

7.- Navigate to the Incident business object, select the Layout in use, and formView.  Click Add Child Panel near the bottom:

6.PNG

8.- Set the Display name to Email. Click <Not Set> for Object, and make the following selections:

7.PNG

9.- Click “Yes” if prompted after saving the above.

Set the grid to Journal.Email, and form to Journal.Email.new and leave the remaining selections as-is:

8.PNG
                  You should now have a child panel formatted like this:

9.PNG

10.- Save the business object layout 10.PNGClick on the ‘Edit’ button for the ‘Toolbar’ column 11.PNG

11.- Drag off the ‘New Record’ button and add a ‘New Record Templates’ button in its place. Save the changes.

12.PNG

12.- Click Save on that window. You should now have only a “New Email” rather than “New Record” displaying in the toolbar editor. Save the
                  toolbar editor:

13.PNG

13.- Again, save the business object layout 10.PNG

Now, opening Incident, you will see the new ‘Email’ tab. From there you can click on the button to select any templates you added to the quickactions. So you want to watch how you publish those templates as they become available for the menu as soon as they are added to the system.

Remember that for this example, I only created one template (Incident Update), but if you create more, they will show in this drop down.
                  Remember also that the way you format the template in the first step, is how you will control the information to pull into the Email. For this example, it pulls over only the incident number into the subject.

14.PNG

Disclaimer: I just copy/pasted the file and images, I am planning on using it moving forward but didn't tested yet, although it seems it should work.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: How to add a pick list (drop-down box) on Journal.Email form which will trigger a corresponding Journal.Email quick action.
                    chooi Apprentice

Thanks for everyone's replies, all of which were very helpful.

The solution I'm looking for is that template must be able to triggered within an existing email in Activity History because I need to append the existing email subject to the template. In addition, users must be able to edit existing templates and add new templates.

• 7. Re: How to add a pick list (drop-down box) on Journal.Email form which will trigger a corresponding Journal.Email quick action.
                      florian1 Expert

You can add a Business object, add a relationship to it and use its values with editing rules.

As an example (don't think pictures are needed to explain):

1) create a Business object called "YourEmailTemplate"

Fields:

- RecId

- TemplateName

- TemplateBody

-> add a simple form to manage your Templates & create one template

2) create a PickList for your Template

Display field: Name

Value field: RecId

3) add a field to Journal.Email: TemplateRecId, Validation constrained to Picklist of 2)

4) Add a relationship between Journal.Email and YourEmailTemplate

Journal.Email -(EmailAssociatedEmailTemplate)> YourEmailTemplate

(TemplateRecId) = RecId

5) add an Editing rule in Journal.Email:

On Change EmailTemplate

Set EmailBody = $(if TemplateRecId != null then [OtherObject]TemplateBody else EmailBody)

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: How to add a pick list (drop-down box) on Journal.Email form which will trigger a corresponding Journal.Email quick action.
                        vee Apprentice

Hi Chooi, late reply but just wanted to say that I've had this exact same requirement and I've achieved it more or less how you would have wanted it. If you're still looking to do it, let me know and I'll make a post about how I've done it.

• 9. Re: How to add a pick list (drop-down box) on Journal.Email form which will trigger a corresponding Journal.Email quick action.
                          Apprentice

I was able to replicate what you have described above.

If i were to create a relationship to from Template to Attachments, do you think that we can link attachments if there are any defined on the Template BO record?