5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2016 1:58 AM by chooi

Easy Access to Support Information in an Incident Ticket

sunderwood Rookie

Hello,

We support 330 Enterprise Applications and over 140 Productivity applications in our organization. We are not a development shop so there is a lot of vendor support contact information that has to be maintained. Having support contact immediately/easily available in an Incident screen would be very handy. Currently I have tried to populate it in the Vendor PO but I think this may be a mistake. It's too many clicks to get there and a single vendor could have different support/contact information for their various product lines. I'm thinking we do not have Incident configured correctly. I thought about putting support information in the Knowledge Module for each CI.  Should it be in an External Contact records?Not sure this is the right way either. I want to make it as easy as possible for the Help Desk to access this info.  I would appreciate any input and best practice suggestions folks have. Below is an example of the type of information I would want to track:

• ITSD Contact name, phone, email
      • Customer Support contact name, phone, email
      • Vendor Application Support contact names, phone, email, support portal, website

Thank you

Susan

• 1. Re: Easy Access to Support Information in an Incident Ticket
          rcarins@cssdelivers.com Apprentice

Hi Susan,

Do you have all these Applications and as CIs? I think this kind of information belongs against the applications CI record, or even part of the Vendor BO perhaps. How you then display it in Incident is up to you but given the number of fields your talking about I'd be inclined to have a  separate Tab of the fields you listed that are populated based on Linking or selecting the effected application CI.

Let me know if you want me to delve further into the detail.

Regards,

Ross

• 2. Re: Easy Access to Support Information in an Incident Ticket
            SteveGutierrez Rookie

Hi Susan,

I think the answer depends on how much work you want to have to put in to this.

1. Update the CI object(s) as [email protected] mentioned above. This could get tedious though if you store these applications under various CIs - you would need to update the forms for each CI.
            2. Create a relationship to External Contact as you mentioned, and then link those contacts. If the External Contact object is missing fields, then you have one form to update, versus however many you would have to update on the CIs.
            3. Create a relationship to the Vendor BO, and add individual vendor contacts as External Contacts to that Vendor record if necessary. Update the Vendor BO to include the fields you're looking for. Maybe also add an associated item selector or two so that you can also relate employee records.

Which option you choose also depends on whether you already have the vendor information stored in HEAT or not - if so, then I recommend option 2 or 3. If you're not already storing this information, then ask yourself if you might need to link these External Contact or Vendor records to other objects. More likely than not, you will want to do this one day, so storing the information directly into the CI may not be a good idea.

Good luck with your project!

• 3. Re: Easy Access to Support Information in an Incident Ticket
              sunderwood Rookie

Hello Ross,

Thanks for the feedback. We do have all of our Enterprise CIs listed with related vendor information. It currently shows up like you see below:

I think part of our problem is that the vendor tab in Incident is not populating. I'll fix that. Thanks

• 4. Re: Easy Access to Support Information in an Incident Ticket
                sunderwood Rookie

Thank you for you input. It was helpful.

• 5. Re: Easy Access to Support Information in an Incident Ticket
                  chooi Apprentice

Hi Susan, I have the same challenge and am interested to know which solution you chose and if you have any advice or recommendations. Thanks in advance.