4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2016 1:33 PM by sthon

AutoIT automation of the Software Installer Window

sthon Apprentice

Hi,

we are preparing the rollout of new Desktops. To speedup the software installation process, and not interfere with normal operations, I want to create a AutoIT script which waits for the Installer Window and then clicks on OK to install the Software.

I do not whish to change all my packets to install automatically, as it is not our policy to do so. The end-user can choose when to install most software.

I also do not want to create different packages for the same software just so it installs automatically on the new machines.

So the idea was to generate a AutoIT script to wait for the Installer Windows and then click OK when it appears. This works for all the Software I tested it with, but not with the Absolute Software Installer.

For the record, it detects and activates the window just fine, the ControlClick also gives a positiv feedback about the button it pressed. Just nothing is happening.

Is there any safeguard in the application to prevent this type of automatisation?

Are there any other ways to get only my new machines to accept all installations at once?

This is the code I am using, I tried different approaches (commented):

$Title="Absolute Manage Softwareinstaller"
      Opt("TrayIconDebug", 1)

While 1
         WinWait($Title)
         WinActivate($Title)
         sleep(5000)
         If WinActive($Title) then
            ;send("{TAB}")
            ;Send("{Enter}")
            ;ControlClick($Title, "OK", "Button6")
            ControlClick($Title, "OK", "[CLASS:Button; INSTANCE:6]", )
            sleep(1000)
         endif
      WEnd

• 1. Re: AutoIT automation of the Software Installer Window
          sthon Apprentice

Ok - i found the problem. The script has to run as Administrator under Windows 7 and up to actually transfer the commands to the Application windows.

Interestingly enough, this only seems to be a problem with Absolute Manage/Heat Lanrev.

Now on to getting this into the image. I was thinking about a Windows Task which deactivates itself after three days, but when run as a task, the script doesn't work anymore (even if run as "System" user).

• 2. Re: AutoIT automation of the Software Installer Window
            sthon Apprentice

So, I did it in the unattended.xml as a synchronos command, right after the Agent gets started and runs its SDCheck.

• 3. Re: AutoIT automation of the Software Installer Window
              patgmac1 Expert

Deployment tools (such as LANrev) are intended to deploy things silently. The installers might not be launched in the context of the user (though you can specify that). If you need to prompt the user first, you can use the "User Interaction" tab within LANrev to allow the user to be informed first.

• 4. Re: AutoIT automation of the Software Installer Window
                sthon Apprentice

I know about those Options. And as I wrote, we usually let the user decide when to install Software. But in the case of an initial rollout this is cumbersome. Especcially when you need to get new Systems out fast.

And as I do not whish to change all packages to install automatically, nor do I whish to duplicate existing packages with different settings, the AutoIT solutions seems a good way to go.

Now I have it in the first run commands of my unattend.xml and all the initial Software installs just get an automatic "OK".