9 Replies Latest reply on May 2, 2016 7:11 AM by robert.morton

Create Payload for Windows

richard.strong Apprentice

I have been using InstallEase for Mac to create PKGs from snapshots of a system, which I then use to create payloads > software packages.

Now I would like to do the same in Windows.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Create Payload for Windows
          patgmac1 Expert

IMHO, creating packages from a snapshot is a horrible way to package...on any platform. You will end up with too much cruft that doesn't belong to the software you're packaging for. And it takes way too long.

For Windows software, you can almost always use the vendor supplied installer with a silent switch to automate the install. I have never found a need to re-package Windows software. If there is additional files that need to be a added (such as license file), then I use a batch file to handle the install and copy the file(s) where they need to go.

For Mac software, same thing, use the vendor installer whenever possible. If not possible, then determine what exactly is installed and build the package by hand either with InstallEase or Whitebox Packages (I prefer Packages).

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Create Payload for Windows

Thanks, so in the example below, how would I create a Software Package that would run the file Strong Basic WIN7.msi? It needs all the other folders as well.

Screen Shot 2016-04-25 at 15.57.06.png

FYI: I only scan changes in the /Applications folder with InstallEase

• 3. Re: Create Payload for Windows
              patgmac1 Expert

Richard Brunyee wrote:

Thanks, so in the example below, how would I create a Software Package that would run the file Strong Basic WIN7.msi? It needs all the other folders as well.

Screen Shot 2016-04-25 at 15.57.06.png

FYI: I only scan changes in the /Applications folder with InstallEase

MSI's are the ideal types of installers! Select the msi when setting up your payload, AND check the box "Transfer all files in folder containing selected object". That's all there is to it.

RE: "FYI: I only scan changes in the /Applications folder with InstallEase"

But what if something it needs gets installed outside of /Applications? You need to know that and include it in your package. There are many apps that put supporting files in /Library. What was the vendor provided installer type? If it was a .pkg, you don't need to repackage! It's already the format you want. If it's a drag/drop, then just build a package with that by itself.

Feel free to ask here if you're not sure how to deploy a given app. Someone else might have experience with it.

• 4. Re: Create Payload for Windows
                robert.morton Apprentice

First, listen to Patrick. As someone that a long time ago finally got an Adobe Acrobat Update to install correctly using InstallEase only to find out that Adobe put all of their license keys in a single file, I only used that method as a last resort. There is nothing like having customers call and say why is PhotoShop asking for a license key?

InstallEase is available for both platforms and is great to figure out where things are getting installed or if you are trying to do something simple like put a folder on the desktop of the current user. Feel free to download the Windows version from https://support.heatsoftware.com

• 5. Re: Create Payload for Windows

Thanks but I can't log in there. "Access Denied."

• 6. Re: Create Payload for Windows

Any idea why I can't log in to https://support.heatsoftware.com?

I should use the same credentials as community.heatsoftware.com?

• 7. Re: Create Payload for Windows
                      patgmac1 Expert

No, they're different. Contact customer.care@heatsoftware.com to get access.

• 8. Re: Create Payload for Windows
                        sthon Apprentice

As Patrick already wrote: Using a capture method under Windows is a really bad idea to create software packages. It's like a Jurassic Park - Idea. Sounds awesome, but the result will most like go horribly wrong.

Here are some sites that I ususally consult when packaging Windows Software.

http://unattended.sourceforge.net/installers.php

http://www.itninja.com/software/browse/

http://www.msiwisdom.com/

Almost all Packages (whether they are like setup.exe or an msi file), feature a mode for silent or unattended installation. Many .exe installers tell you how to install them if you start them with "installername.exe /?". Also, many just contain msi files, which often can be extracted by using the /extract switch or by a third party application like 7-zip.

• 9. Re: Create Payload for Windows
                          robert.morton Apprentice

Thanks Stefan. I used to use IT Ninja all the time, but then it became terrible. It looks like it is pretty useful again. I haven't checked out the others, but thanks for the info.