14 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2018 10:33 PM by Donna

How to search Service Request parameters

wynnb Apprentice

Is there a way to run a search of Service Requests, where we can search within the request parameters? For example, I want to find all the requests to grant access for a specific employee. The employee name is in one of the parameter fields in the request offering, but if I use the prompt expression I get an error stating "The function is not supported in search expressions that have a reference to any field".

• 1. Re: How to search Service Request parameters
          dcogny Expert

Our approach when a user asked for the same thing was to create a "SearchParameters" HTML field on the Service Request BO, making it "full text searchable", and then, the first block of the Workflow being "Update" and copying all the important fields from the form to that field. So the users doesn't actually search on the parameters, but will be able to find them.

Disclaimers:

1) This method was suggested in a different thread by another user, not sure whom. It's not my idea.

2) If my writing is too confusing, let me know and I try to clarify.

• 2. Re: How to search Service Request parameters
            Apprentice

If you want to search within the parameters use the advanced search.

This is a basic search using the servicereqcontainsservicereqparameter relationship with both parametervalue and displayvalue but they are interchangeable from what I can gather - it trawls through all the parameters in the database but you can tailor it back to requirements.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: How to search Service Request parameters
              daveb1 Apprentice

One option is to enable full-text search on the parameter value attribute of the service requests parameter BO.  Then enable full-text searching across the relationship between service request BO and service request parameter BO (the relationship is called ServiceReqContainsServiceReqParam) using the "Full Text Search Enabled" checkbox.  This should allow you to search for a parameter value from the search box on service request list/grid.

4 of 4 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: How to search Service Request parameters
                dcogny Expert

This answer should be selected as "Solution". I just tried and it even works with previously created Requests!

Amazingly easy solution and still the good one!

Thank you David, you save us a good time of editing SRs.

• 5. Re: How to search Service Request parameters
                  wynnb Apprentice

David,

Took me a while to get back to this and read your answer, but this is the second time today that you saved me! Thanks!

• 6. Re: How to search Service Request parameters
                    julie.obrien@sinclair.edu Apprentice

Hi David, I enabled full text search as shown in your screen shot, but I'm getting this error. What am I missing?

• 7. Re: How to search Service Request parameters
                      daveb1 Apprentice

Julie,

Sounds like you didn't enable full-text search attribute on the parameter value field of the service requests parameter BO.

The engine requires at least one field in the child object have full text enabled.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: How to search Service Request parameters
                        julie.obrien@sinclair.edu Apprentice

That's what I needed! Thank you so much!

• 9. Re: How to search Service Request parameters
                          simacit Apprentice

Hi David

this works nice but not in the Self Service Search. Do you know how I can manipulate this?

Thanks

• 10. Re: How to search Service Request parameters
                            Rookie

Hi Bryan,

An option to try is to create a Saved Search in Service
                            Request. You will have the same functionality as Advanced Search and will be
                            able to add additional fields to display in your search. Once the Saved Search
                            is saved you will be able to re-use the search function without re-creating the
                            search. You can publish the Saved Search in Favourite Search for quick access.

• 11. Re: How to search Service Request parameters
                              daveb1 Apprentice

I am assuming you want to search from the search box at the top of My Items.  I am not sure how to pull this off.  My initial thought was to enabled the "Full Text Search" in the relationship between FRS_MyItem and Service Request, but that did not help.  I studied the query generated from the search and it does not join to the Service Request table.  However, it does a join to FRS_MyItem for the full text search using the FREETEXTTABLE function.  This appears to be a bug to me.  Marking this relationship as full text searchable should enable this functionality.  What may be in play is that My Items is a special object and HEAT Software has turned off some of the standard BO features.

However I was able to add the Service Request BO to the Search workspace in self service and you can search service request parameters allowing you to perform searches from the Home tab in self service.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                              • 12. Re: How to search Service Request parameters
                                simacit Apprentice

Thanks David, this is the solution I was looking for

• 13. Re: How to search Service Request parameters
                                  wynnb Apprentice

FWIW, I found that I also needed to check the full-text indexed field on the ParameterDisplayValue field.

This is for any fields that are populated from a validated list.

• 14. Re: How to search Service Request parameters
                                    Donna Apprentice

I did this because I wanted to search on the fly - thought I'd share - but credit where its due I

based it on this.  my analysts like it -

I created a query called Search SR for ….

Find ‘Service Request’

Where 

Service Request   Status   Not Equal to    cancelled

And

Is Related to    (At least)    1  Service Request Parameter via ServiceReqContainsServiceReqParam(0…1 : N)

Where

Service Request Parameter  ParameterDisplayValue Contains $(Prompt(“String sought?”))

Sort by Created On V