1 2 Previous Next 21 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2017 10:46 AM by fredlars

Return of the LANrev PowerTools

baotran Apprentice

Hi everyone,

As many of you may have noticed we lost the PowerTools section with the move from Absolute Software to HEAT Software. I'll be slowly adding items back at the URL below once the utilities have been updated with HEAT branding and reference the new product name LANrev, which interestingly enough also happens to be the old old product name.

HEAT LANrev PowerTools

You'll be seeing some of the old tools that you're used to along with some new ones that you might hopefully find helpful. If anyone has a favorite tool from before that they don't have a copy of let us know and we will try to update those first. Send an email to lanrev.powertools@heatsoftware.com with your request.

Fair bit of warning that these tools are for Windows. They are also not officially supported by HEAT Global Support so do not contact them with issues you may have with them. You can send your feedback and suggestions to lanrev.powertools@heatsoftware.com.

Some interesting ideas we've been tossing around and in some instances have prototyped are things to

- automatically reset an on-demand package so that they're almost always available

- automatically reinstall a package if the app it installs can't be found to sort of make the app mandatory

- check if an agent's server settings like server addresses and intervals are incorrect or not

- detect if a piece of software is present based on multiple criteria (process, installed software entry, file entry, registry entry)

Bao

• 1. Re: Return of the LANrev PowerTools
          patgmac1 Expert

Thanks Bao.

I think it would be good to see a repository of these things going forward, here on the board. Jive, as you know, has the ability to post files and/or documents. So instead of having a "collection" of PowerTools like you have in the past, just post each one individually here on its' own page along with a README of sorts. This could also include "user contributions" from your customers and a custom information item repo (similar to what the "other guys" have for extension attributes).

Some other items I don't think are currently posted are the agent tech tool, and the collection of smart groups (needed updating). Also the system tray shortcut.

• 2. Re: Return of the LANrev PowerTools
            baotran Apprentice

I tried uploading a copy of the Agent Tray App zip file to see if Jive keeps track of the downloads and if I could view that info. According to Google it seems to keep track of it but it appears that info is only available via some kind of Jive API. That info is not available in the UI that my account has access to as far as I can tell :-(

So I'm going to stick with the HEAT Software file transfer service for lack of something better. Besides it the "officially" sanctioned method for sharing files with customers. I used an Evernote page for convenience since I use it for a ton of other stuff so it's easy for me to edit it. I wanted customers to be able to bookmark it without having to authenticate. I could put the links directly in this article but then customers would have to have a login and authenticate every time to get to it, which bugs me. This info should be available to everyone including evaluators. If someone wants to post then yes, by all means require registration, but if they just want to view my personal opinion is not not require registration. I don't have any control over this forum but I do have control over the PowerTools :-)

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Return of the LANrev PowerTools
              labin Rookie

It's a good idea to have certain OnDemand-Items available even if they've been installed before. This would make the Self-Service-Part far more useful than it is now. But as we're a Mac-ony shop, I guess I'll have to wait a little bit longer for this feature.

• 4. Re: Return of the LANrev PowerTools
                patgmac1 Expert

Andrei Labin wrote:

It's a good idea to have certain OnDemand-Items available even if they've been installed before. This would make the Self-Service-Part far more useful than it is now. But as we're a Mac-ony shop, I guess I'll have to wait a little bit longer for this feature.

Are you implying that LANrev favors Windows? You must be new to LANrev. ;-)

• 5. Re: Return of the LANrev PowerTools
                  labin Rookie

hehe. I've been using it for about 5 years and to be honest, I've never tried the Windows-part of it as we believe in best-of-breed solutions and, well, baramundi seems better suited for us (apparently, there are people managing their macs with SCCM *shudder*). But the amount of effort put into development in the last years seems to be about 80% MDM, which also does not interest us (yet?), so who knows how much effort has been put into the windows-part of it.

• 6. Re: Return of the LANrev PowerTools
                    patgmac1 Expert

Historically, they were a Mac shop. LANrev started out as Mac-only and they added Windows at some point. I use it for both (2500 devices, about 40% Mac) and consider it close to best of breed for both. The interface is still more "Mac friendly" with the iTunes style, but on the server-side, they seem to be favoring Windows more going forward (particularly for the webadmin consoles), and for good reason. Their Windows support is just as good as their Mac support IMHO, but they have added some Mac-only features more recently such as Profile management, Mac MDM, VPP/Managed VPP. I don't see this as a down-side for the Windows side since these features don't apply to Windows.

• 7. Re: Return of the LANrev PowerTools
                      karl1 Apprentice

Thank you Bao, these kind of initiative is much appreciated.

• 8. Re: Return of the LANrev PowerTools
                        baotran Apprentice

Sorry, the problem at the moment is the scripting language the majority of these utilities is written in is Windows only. I'd like for us to be able to provide Mac versions of these utilities at some point. That requires that we either 1) find an SE on the team that can write script/code on the Mac to accomplish the same thing or 2) learn a scripting/programming language to duplicate the utilities on OS X. So far neither of these has happened yet. Time permitting I'm hoping to pick up Xojo or something else over the summer maybe so I can take a stab at #2 if #1 doesn't pan out.

• 9. Re: Return of the LANrev PowerTools
                          patgmac1 Expert

If these things were open sourced, you might get some help.

• 10. Re: Return of the LANrev PowerTools
                            baotran Apprentice

My experience so far is that neither the Legal nor the Marketing department at any of the parent companies for LANrev have been open to that. We've got our hands full just trying to convince them to make the forums open.

• 11. Re: Return of the LANrev PowerTools
                              rfn Rookie

I would love to have this feature as well, as it would really help us in several use cases.

• 12. Re: Return of the LANrev PowerTools
                                avoges Rookie

I agree, all four of these power tools would be very useful in our Macintosh environment.  Hopefully HEAT management will dedicate resources towards these efforts as our manual processes we perform within LANrev in an attempt to achieve each of the four tasks you've automated on windows is quite time consuming and inefficient when you're trying to manage 4,000 Macs within an institution our size. 

• 13. Re: Return of the LANrev PowerTools
                                  baotran Apprentice

This list will be updated each time a new utility is added so you can monitor this thread and be notified of updates. Unfortunately I can't edit my original posting but only followup posts.

Agent Tray App - System tray app for client computers to trigger agent actions or get basic info about the agent computer.

Agent Installer Security Tool - Protect the LANrev agent by removing the uninstall option or hiding the installation entry entirely from the list of installed applications in Windows.

DatabaseTableSyncDelays Generator - Improve admin console synching in larger environments by controlling which inventory tables get synced and how often they sync.

Agent Customizer - Further customize agent installer settings that have no GUI elements in the Deployment Center tab for your exported custom agent.

Auto Reset Package Tool - Make Windows on-demand packages for scripts and utilities always available to users.

Check Server Settings Tool - Check if server settings on your Windows agents, such as server address and intervals, are out of date so you can update them.

WIM File Updater - Inject a default set of Windows PE network drivers when initially building your Windows PE boot image or update it later with additional drivers for new computer models

Detect Application Tool - Detect if a Windows application is present based on multiple criteria such as a file, registry value, installed software entry, or process. Can also be used to detect whether a device meets a minimum baseline based any of the above criteria.

Fix Certificate Permissions - Download this utility if instructed by HEAT Global Support. Used to fix -5000 permissions errors in the LANrev Server.log that prevent the server from starting up correctly.

LANrev Server Backup Tool - Backup all essential data required to restore a Windows LANrev server in case of hardware failure - certs, DBs, latest DB backups, iOS payloads, and server registry. Run it before every upgrade for peace of mind.

LANrev Server Restore Tool - Restore a LANrev server using a backup set taken with the LANrev Server Backup Tool within minutes after a catastrophic hardware failure.

Track Installation History Utility - Track application installation and removal history on Windows agents

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                  • 14. Re: Return of the LANrev PowerTools
                                    patgmac1 Expert

Bao Tran wrote:

Agent Installer Security Tool - Protect the LANrev agent by removing the uninstall option or hiding the installation entry entirely from the list of installed applications in Windows.

Was this one updated for HEAT? It broke when I upgraded to the HEAT branded version.

1 2 Previous Next