6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2016 1:48 PM by dsyee

Hiding a field in a completed Service Request

dsyee Rookie

I am trying to figure out how to hide fields in the parameter tab of a Service Request after the request has been submitted. This mostly applies to checkbox fields; we have a couple of large forms with 20+ checkbox fields, and if they are not selected, we don't want those fields to appear in the parameters tab.

• 1. Re: Hiding a field in a completed Service Request
          elysey Apprentice

Hi Douglass

A couple of options:

1. If it is a label control, you can use use the Do Not Submit this field property against the control

2. Have a hidden tick box within the form that is always set to true and have the parameter name to "IsVisible" (or whatever name you would like).  Use this tick box in the visibility controls of the fields you want to hide after it has been submitted, and in the request offering workflow, use the Run For Child block to run a quick action that sets the ParameterValue and ParameterDisplayValue to false and set the condition to run where the parameter name is "IsVisible" (or whatever name you would like).

• 2. Re: Hiding a field in a completed Service Request
            dsyee Rookie

I'm not sure I understand what you mean in option 2. How do I set the parameter name of a field? And what visibility expression would I use in the fields I want to hide after the form is submitted?

• 3. Re: Hiding a field in a completed Service Request
              ben.prinsloo1 Apprentice

You will need to apply some lateral thinking on this. If I understand this correctly, you have checkboxes, and only want to display the ones that was set on the final screen?

Key is to create a "Control" checkbox. I called it isFirstTime.

In each checkbox, you now need to add a "Visible" expression. Make sure to use the name of the current Checkbox, and boolean logic against the "FirstTime" field.

Do the same for the second checkbox etc. The expression for "Value 2 " will be :

!isFirstTime || checkbox_3

The easiest will be to have "FirstTime" as a field on the last tab, where they HAVE to acknowledge the request is as they want it. This should then autohide the unchecked fields. Other more complicated ways exist to make it automated, as with Elyse's option 2 above. In that case set the field to true in a workflow using the relationship as per her explanation.

I hope this helps.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Hiding a field in a completed Service Request
                dsyee Rookie

Thanks Ben - The only sticking point I am running into now is I don't know how to create a workflow that will set "isFirstTime" to true. I made a quick action in ServiceReqParam to update Parameter Value to "True" and ParamaterDisplayValue to "False." Then I use the quick action in a Run For Child block with the Child Filter Conditions: Parameter Name equal to "isFirstTime". It doesn't seem to work correctly.

• 5. Re: Hiding a field in a completed Service Request
                  a.mossop@qut.edu.au Apprentice

We have needed to do this with images.  Make them visible at the time of logging the service request (as it assists the requester in choosing the appropriate options) but not make them visible in the parameters once the request is logged.

Set a visibility expression to include the following:   [parent.]RecId != ""

I know the query sounds back to front but I promise despite its contradiction to intuitive logic, it works.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Hiding a field in a completed Service Request
                    dsyee Rookie

This is great. This expression works perfectly for what we want, and doesn't require any special workflow blocks or hidden checkboxes. Thanks!