11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 3, 2016 4:09 PM by [email protected]

How to add approvals to a Change before going to CAB approval?

davidjohnson Apprentice

Hi;

The City of Seattle is transitioning from HEAT Classic to HEAT Service Management by Q1 2017.  I am looking for a way to add two approvals (Technical and Product) to the Change Approval workflow before the workflow continues to CAB approval group.  This is what I've attempted.  I extended the ChangeDetail business object to add the approvers and date/time approved.  I've added a new Get Approval block right after the Start but I don't see how to reference the new fields that are in the extended business object.

From the documentation I had thought I could use the selection "User from Context BO field/ Service Request Parameter".  Suggestions welcome!

Cheers,

David

• 1. Re: How to add approvals to a Change before going to CAB approval?
          rcarins@cssdelivers.com Apprentice

Hi David,

For the technical and Product approvals, are they going to be individuals or a group of people?

If it's individual, and you have a pick list on the change form that your choosing the Technical and Product approver from then you should be able to reference that field in the "User from Context BO field/ Service Request Parameter" option in the approval block. You need to ensure though that the pick list your using for this is setup to use either LoginID, email or RecID as the value to ensure Heat can match the correct approver (if you just use display name and have two John Smiths, Heat won't match the right approver).

If it's group, I'd just create a contact group for Technical & Product, then reference those in the approval blocks.

Regards,

Ross

• 2. Re: How to add approvals to a Change before going to CAB approval?
            Rookie

You can try creating a new field to the change business object ie 'change workflow type' then add Technical and Product to that field. On the change workflow whenever 'change workflow type' = Technical or Product point the workflow to do thing else. Hope that helps

• 3. Re: How to add approvals to a Change before going to CAB approval?
              davidjohnson Apprentice

Hi Ross;

Thanks for your reply.  These are two separate approvals - one for Technical and one for Product.  And they are individual approvals.  I've created an extension to the ChangeDetail business object to hold the Approver names and capture the date/time stamp of their approvals.  However I'm not seeing these fields in the extension when I choose a pull-down in the "User from Context BO field/ Service Request Parameter" option in the approval block.

When I open the Change business object and it's form Change.Approval, I can navigate from Change -> Relationships .> ChangeDetail.  Here I expected to find the new fields I added as of the business object extension - ChangeDetail.COS, but they're not listed.

Is there an existing business object extension I can compare mine against?  Or a way to validate I created a viable extension?

Cheers,

David

• 4. Re: How to add approvals to a Change before going to CAB approval?
                davidjohnson Apprentice

Hi Yong;

Thanks, I opted to create an extension to the ChangeDetail business objects as HEAT cautions against modifying objects that have active workflows.  As I replied to Ross, if you've created extensions, I'd appreciate learning how you made the fields in the extensions available.  If there's additional information I can provide about the extension I created, happy to provide.

Cheers,

David

• 5. Re: How to add approvals to a Change before going to CAB approval?

Hi David,

I think the problem is you need to create the approver names on the base Change business object, not ChangeDetail. Assuming the workflow is running on the Change object (as it does OOTB) then the "User from Context BO field/ Service Request Parameter" is only showing fields on the Change object.

What is the reason your creating a specific field for the date/time stamp? That detail would be recorded in the Approval Vote record once the product or technical approver has voted, and viewable on the Approval Vote tab. (this is all assuming the change module is mostly still OOTB).

Regards,

Ross

• 6. Re: How to add approvals to a Change before going to CAB approval?
                    davidjohnson Apprentice

Hi Ross;

I'm avoiding modifying the Change business object as HEAT cautions against doing so (see the note from the Administrator HELP below).

I would prefer to extend the Change business object instead of the ChangeDetail one; however when you click Create New Business Object and choose to extend, the Change one is not on the list , jumps from Address to ChangeDetail.

I'm looking at the Task.Assignment business object extension to see if there are any parallels to what I want to do with Change.

Cheers,

David

• 7. Re: How to add approvals to a Change before going to CAB approval?

Hi David,

Mmm never noticed that warning before and I'm not sure why it says it but I've done many implementations of Heat and add fields to Change/Incident/Request/Problem etc business objects all the time without issue. Extending the business object has it's advantages but I think for change and in this situation I wouldn't do it.

Since your just adding two pick lists, you don't need to extend the change object anyway, just two fields which you'd then be referencing in the change workflow. You can in fact replicate the setup of the Sponsor field on change.

Regards,

Ross

• 8. Re: How to add approvals to a Change before going to CAB approval?
                        davidjohnson Apprentice

Hi Ross;

About capturing the date/time stamp, good point.  Provided I can pull this information for an audit report, I don't need to store those values.  And yes, the change module is mostly OOTB.

Cheers,

David

• 9. Re: How to add approvals to a Change before going to CAB approval?
                          davidjohnson Apprentice

Hi Ross;

Thanks for the suggestion.  As I was building my new field ApproverTechnical in the Change business object, I couldn't select the same pick list that the Sponsor field uses.

Here's the drop-down for the Pick Lists for Sponsor:

And here is the drop-down for the Pick Lists for my new field:

I did increase the text length to 255 in a later attempt.  Notice that all of the DisplayName ... pick lists are not selectable.  In looking over the Pick List documentation, I didn't see a reference on permissions for a new field to access them.  Other pick lists with a padlock symbol are selectable for this new field, such as EmailComponentName.

Appreciate suggestions on how to access these DisplayName% pick lists.

Cheers,

David

• 10. Re: How to add approvals to a Change before going to CAB approval?
                            davidjohnson Apprentice

Hi;

Found out how to access the pick lists!  After I created the new field as Text, then I clicked on the Text link following the Field Type and that opened another menu to select Unicode Text.  Now I can select the DisplayName% pick list that Sponsor uses.

Now to configure the Change workflow.

Cheers,

David

• 11. Re: How to add approvals to a Change before going to CAB approval?

Hi David,

Yes you've found one of the joys of pick lists, the new field you created needs to be setup the same way as whatever the value field on the pick lists object, in this case the LoginID field on the Employee object. The field length and whether it's Text or Unicode.

Good luck with the workflow!

Cheers,

Ross