3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2016 9:17 AM by patgmac1

Looping HP and Xerox Printer Updates in LANrev

sgillaspy Apprentice

On the Mac side, I've noticed for years now that if I assign either HP or Xerox Printer Updates to target Macs, they are the only types of Apple Software Updates that will report installed and then soon after begin reinstalling in a endless loop.

If I run those same updates from the built-in Apple Software Update mechanism, the HP and Xerox updates install fine.  This has been true for many years and I just verified that it still occurs now with the latest HP Printer Update 5.0 and Xerox Printer Update 4.1.  I haven't seen this behavior with any other kind of Apple Software Update within LANrev.

Anyone else seeing this?

Any fixes?

• 1. Re: Looping HP and Xerox Printer Updates in LANrev
          patgmac1 Expert

Apple uses several deltas for various updates, printer drivers in particular. In LANrev, in Server Center, in your list of patches, add columns for "Executable Name", "Executable Payload, and "Executable Size" (if they're not there already). That will cause the updates to show each delta so HP for instance will show around 10 or more times. If any of those have a blank executable name, those are the ones causing you problems. It's not actually installing so it goes into a loop.

Screen Shot 2016-08-31 at 10.40.14 AM.png

Sometimes you can delete those and let it try to re-download, but that's hit or miss. Ultimately this needs to be fixed in LANrev. They've known about it for a while but haven't done anything about it. What I do, is add that update myself from Apple's site (or grab from my reposado instance) to LANrev but use the detection that LANrev has done to target machines.

I've had to do this for certain OS updates as well. I end up just having to push the combo to any machine that needs it.

• 2. Re: Looping HP and Xerox Printer Updates in LANrev
            sgillaspy Apprentice

Thanks Patrick...it's interesting though, I was told by the LANrev folks that LANrev's Apple Software Update is simply a mirror of Apple's service, but in this instance different installer behaviors are observed.

So it would seem that they can't actually be truly the same once you're in LANrev.  The issue is gone when this direct command is used:

sudo softwareupdate -i -a
            • 3. Re: Looping HP and Xerox Printer Updates in LANrev
              patgmac1 Expert

Sean Gillaspy wrote:

Thanks Patrick...it's interesting though, I was told by the LANrev folks that LANrev's Apple Software Update is simply a mirror of Apple's service, but in this instance different installer behaviors are observed.

So it would seem that they can't actually be truly the same once you're in LANrev. The issue is gone when this direct command is used:

sudo softwareupdate -i -a

It is pretty much a mirror, but if/when it fails to download a specific payload, it doesn't know to correct it.