4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2016 12:34 AM by sthon

Windows 10 automatic updates LANrev 7.2.1

sthon Apprentice

We have now deployed a number of Windows 10 1607 Clients.

All have the options set in the Agent

"Include in OS Patch Management"

"Use only LANrev for OS updates"

as well as the server option "Scan for missing operating system patches".

And while the computers scan for patches, upload them to the server and get them deployed. They still manage to sneak in the occasionally self-installed update.

So, they are patched partly through LANrev and partly by themselves.

How can I make sure they are only patched by LANrev? The windows update settings are the default ones, automatically download and install. I figured that LANRev prohibits the installation through the "Use only LANrev for OS updates" setting.

• 1. Re: Windows 10 automatic updates LANrev 7.2.1
          patgmac1 Expert

Stefan Thon wrote:

I figured that LANRev prohibits the installation through the "Use only LANrev for OS updates" setting.

I don't think that setting has worked in a long time (if ever) for Macs or PC's. If you have access to group policy, use that to set the update settings accordingly. Otherwise, look for a way to script it.

• 2. Re: Windows 10 automatic updates LANrev 7.2.1
            sthon Apprentice

Hi Patrick,

thanks - I am a little worried though, that once I disable the updates through policy, LANrev won't be able to activate it like on Windows 7. It seems to me that the Windows 10 part of LANrev is still not a 100%.

• 3. Re: Windows 10 automatic updates LANrev 7.2.1
              swimber@emory.edu Apprentice

I have updates blocked via GPO as was listed in an article to help with Windows 7 and "Use only LANrev for OS updates" but yet what ends up happening is that LANrev must turn on the Windows Update Agent for a few minutes to check for updates and during that time the Windows Update Agent can still auto install.

I have my GPO set up to disable Windows Update Agent, although I still have the Windows Update set to use my own WSUS server and download but notify for updates, the notice will only display to Administrators.  Now it's just my Administrators that complain that the process is not silent.

<hint> I would love to see a new Windows Update Process for LANrev that maintains a _silent_ process </hint>

• 4. Re: Windows 10 automatic updates LANrev 7.2.1
                sthon Apprentice

So we should get by if we configure GPO to download Updates and notify for installation? We don't want to reactivate our WSUS Server...