6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2016 5:54 AM by [email protected]

How to manage editable and non-editable Parameter Fields in Request Offerings?

louise.piper@it.ox.ac.uk Apprentice

I'm currently developing a request offering that requires a field to be updated by the service desk analyst after the end user has submitted the request.

The end-user should not see the field (nor would they know how to complete them), however the information is required for down-stream tasks so needs to be updated by the service desk before the tasks are created.

I've created a parameter field that is not visible to the Self Service user, hence is visible to the Service Desk Analyst, and want to be able to make this field editable by a non-Self Service user, but not other fields on the form.

I have tried using an Update block and an expression on the 'Template Editable' field but cannot get it to work dependent on the role of the current user as it is always editable. I gaterh from support that this is because the current user is actually 'InternalServices' so the role is not relevant.

How could I do this for a specific parameter?

So I have some more general questions coming out of this:

1. Do you allow your service request parameters to be updated after the service request has been created?

2. If you do, how do ensure that only the correct people are able to update the parameter fields and limit which fields can be edited?

3. If you don't, how do you manage service requests that need additional information to be provided to technical teams that the end-user would not know, and require some human intervention so cannot easily be auto-populated?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

• 1. Re: How to manage editable and non-editable Parameter Fields in Request Offerings?
          dcogny Expert

Hi,

I leave the first part as an archive, but if you want a solution that works, keep scrolling until the end of the block:

I think I got your question... this is how I would do it:

• Add the fields to the Request and make them visible only for the role/s you want:

Capture2.PNG

• Make the template Editable
          • Change permissions:

Capture.PNG

• Disclaimer: That is how it should be... in my tests, the user still can Edit the Request, not sure if I am missing something or there is a bug on the system.. But you get an idea...

Answers to your questions:

1. Not by default, I think it makes it harder to keep control (What if the user changes the request half way through and you don't realize until you are done?) I usually go to the database and grant access to a specific request if an analyst ask me to:
            • UPDATE ServiceReq SET IsEditable = '1' WHERE ServiceReqNumber = 'CHANGE'
          2. We don't so, no need to check on that... but I am not sure it can be done...
          3. As said before, for a specific request I manually grant access, we don't have right now any request that falls under your example.

PS: Just talking about this... something came to my mind... Will be back!

Edit: I'm back!!

So, I suddenly got it, a QuickAction that allows the Analyst to make the Request "Editable" and then locks it again:

EditRequest.PNG

Things to keep in mind:

• You still need to make the fields only visible for the accepted roles:

Capture2.PNG

• The Analyst will have to remember to run it again when they are done or the user will be able to Edit too.

Still, I think this is a good solution (Actually I am implementing it right away) as long as the analyst gets used to: Unlock Request - Edit - Lock Request.

• 2. Re: How to manage editable and non-editable Parameter Fields in Request Offerings?

Hi Daniel

I don't think we could use your first suggestion but I really like the idea of the quick action. I'm going to give that a go so will let you know how I get on.

P.S. I forgot to ask - what is the difference between the TemplateEditable and Editable properties?

Thank you!

Louise

• 3. Re: How to manage editable and non-editable Parameter Fields in Request Offerings?
              dcogny Expert

Hi Louise,

I actually left the first part because it was already written and didn't want to lose all that work... but the second part is the one that works for me too...

Let me know how it works for you!

About your specific question.... I have no idea! Those are OOTB fields, I tried to change only the "IsEditable" field and the system will throw an error because the "IsTemplateEditable" was false, so I made both "true".

PS: I am not going to implement it, but, if you don't trust your analyst to "close" the template again after finishing with it;

• You can create the QuickAction that only makes it editable and add a "ManuallyEdited" boolean field to it, and set it to "true" also:

• Then have a Workflow that checks for the "ManuallyEdited" field and set everything back to false after a few hours (or days or minutes, as you prefer...)
              • BTW: Instead of a Workflow you can use a triggered Business Rule.

PS: I love this forum! thinking on this I just came with a solution for a different problem that I have!

Daniel.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: How to manage editable and non-editable Parameter Fields in Request Offerings?

Hi Daniel

We were concerned that using a qucik action to make the entire service request editable and not force it back to non-editable would be too risky so this is a great idea. I'm going to do some further testing.

It seems really restrictive that you can't just assign properties to a parameter field to allow it to be edited under certain conditions. I already have quite a list of service requests that require information to be provided by the service desk analyst that drives the workflow downstream.

I've discussed it with the team here and will be raising a feature request with Support and will also add an idea to the Community so if youwanted to vote that up that would be great.

Thank so much for your help!

Louise

• 5. Re: How to manage editable and non-editable Parameter Fields in Request Offerings?
                  dcogny Expert

Hi Louise,

You are very Welcome, glad to hear that it can work for you!

And, yes, I do not need something like you say right now, but I can see many occasions where it can be useful; maybe just having the ability to wrap several forms into a block and allow only the block as editable (then with the "Visibility" option you make it available only for the specified roles/teams/people). Count with my vote when I see your proposal!

• 6. Re: How to manage editable and non-editable Parameter Fields in Request Offerings?

Hi Daniel

I've added the idea and also logged a feature request so hopefully if enough people back it, it might be changed.

Thanks

Louise