2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2017 4:22 AM by katherinec

Migrating HEAT (Reporting) to a new SQL Instance

katherinec Apprentice

We are currently on SQL 2008 R2 and need to move to 2014 to take the next HEAT upgrade. An in-place upgrade is not an option so we are looking to migrate to a fresh 2014 instance on the same server.

I have tested moving the STG/UAT application databases between instances and this seemed to go fine, however I don't have reporting in that environment I'm having difficulty finding a process for SSRS that fits what we're trying to do.

I spoke to an ivanti consultant but they didn't know of any instances of reports being moved, just recreated from scratch. We have over 200 custom reports scheduled for automatic issue overnight and rely very heavily on them during the day - trying to re-uploading all those templates and recreating the reports would be a nightmare. 

Has anybody performed a successful migration of (native) reporting between same-server instances and managed to keep all their reports/subscriptions/SQL schedules (and would be willing to share their experience/process)?

Any thoughts very much appreciated

• 1. Re: Migrating HEAT (Reporting) to a new SQL Instance
          AJC Apprentice

Here are two tools to migrate SSRS Reports en mass; the Reporting Services Migration Tool from Microsoft and Report Sync, hopefully one of these will help.

• 2. Re: Migrating HEAT (Reporting) to a new SQL Instance
            katherinec Apprentice

ajc - thank you for the suggestions (sorry for the very late acknowledgement!). RS Migration Tool wasn't an option as we were going Native -> Native.

I ended up doing an in-place upgrade after a bit of graft on the server. For anyone searching this in the same scenario these steps worked for me after trial and error (we have HEAT reporting configured for Custom authentication and we don't use the OOTB reports).

> back up and comment out the 4 x SaaS extensions in RSReportServer.config to allow RS to upgrade (will show as a blocker in Upgrade Advisor), 

> upgrade SQL/RS/AS/IS,

> uninstall/reinstall HEAT reporting

> manually correct the instance name in  rssrvpolicy.config, rsmgrpolicy.config

> manually insert the Security and Authentication SaaS extensions from first step

> rerun configuration wizard(s)