6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2017 6:28 PM by ahummel

[HEAT SM 2016.x] Multi level Incident categorisation - implementation / best practices

marek.woda1 Apprentice

Dear All,

I guess at least some of you have already rebuilt out of the box Incident categorisation.

Question is: what is the best way to built multilevel categorisation for Incident

I'd like to have implemented something like 

Main Category 1

Sub Category 1.1

Another subcategory 1.1.1

Sub Category 1.2

Another subcategory 1.2.1

Another subcategory 1.2.2

Main Category 2

Sub Category 2.1

Sub Category 2.2

Any recommendations / steps how to do it / screenshots ?

Thanks in advance for your prompt support.

• 1. Re: [HEAT SM 2016.x] Multi level Incident categorisation - implementation / best practices
          AlasdairRobertson ITSMMVPGroup

If you follow the ITIL structure I understand that somewhere between 3-5 levels of categorisation is normal. 

Service

Category

Sub Category

Depending on why (and this is the key part) you require further categorisation then you can either add another level to sub category or you start to introduce levels above service.  

The why part is key to determining where the best place to add the new categorisations.  For example if you have lots of departments e.g. IT, Facilities and HR each with their own lists of Services (or this is where you want the SLA level to reside [another consideration]) the typically we would add a Service Line/Area object above service to group services together.  If on the other hand you are trying to break down a list of desktop software that is being supported e.g. Word, Excel, Outlook, Adobe Reader etc.  then I would build out lower levels of categories.

In terms of either you would look to build a new business object and follow the same pattern used in Incident to build out the new levels.  If you are going down the Service Line/Area route you can build a new object or it is possible to link it to the OrgUnit model and drive everything from there.

Its hard to offer much more advice without seeing the situation your trying to create/model.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: [HEAT SM 2016.x] Multi level Incident categorisation - implementation / best practices
            ford_sb Apprentice

We ended up un-hiding the Subcategory field to get this:

Only IT users use HEAT SM, so all of our services are IT related:

Our categories are the type of issue for the selected service:

And the subcategory is the specific tool/software/hardware, etc in which they are having the problem:

We also use additional detail tabs that would appear after choosing the service, category, or subcategory to get the specific info for that type of incident. I originally had something like the website list above on a detail tab, but figured reporting would be easier using the subcategory field which exists on every ticket, as opposed to having to find a field name on a specific detail tab.

• 3. Re: [HEAT SM 2016.x] Multi level Incident categorisation - implementation / best practices
              ford_sb Apprentice

I didn't have the easiest time figuring out the additional detail tabs, so here's how to do it in case you're interested:

1. Go to Configure Applications -> Business Objects -> Incident

2. Select the Fields tab at the top and create the fields you want to appear on the detail tab. One thing I found really helpful is to come up with a uniform naming scheme so I'd always know which ones were mine, and which ones were default. I'm from Mercer University in Georgia, so my fields and any forms I create all begin with MER_ 

3. After the fields are added, go to the Forms tab, create a form, and add the fields you want.

4. Once the form is made, go to Build->Page Layouts, select the role, and click Edit next to Incident

5. Click formView

6. Scroll down and click Add CHild Panel

7. Set the value of the first column to whatever you want the tab to be named when viewing an Incident

8. Click <Not Set> under the Option column and choose these settings:

9. Click <Not Set> under the Form column and select your form

10. If you want to change the displayed form based on the service, category, or anything else, click <Not Set> under the Hidden Expression column and use code like this:

This would make the form show only if the Computer is selected in the Service pick list.

We have several, so I named them all "Detail" (we renamed the default Detail tab to Call Log since we're coming from HEAT classic and that's what everyone is used to) so they would appear named uniformly, and use the hidden expressions to switch between them as the services/subcategories are selected:

11. Hit save at the top, refresh incident, and you're good to go.

I'm also doing the same in Service Request, since the form that comes through shows everything, not just the selected items, so I made an additional detail tab which shows only the selected items in a the service portal form.

• 4. Re: [HEAT SM 2016.x] Multi level Incident categorisation - implementation / best practices
                Rookie

Hi All,

Wondering if you could assist.

I am unable to prompt my sub category to work for one of my services.

I have added the sub category in 'sub category' and linked the service in the CI.

I have even confirmed it exists in configuration application. 

One of my other 'services' has sub categories prompted to appear so I assume there's a conditional statement somewhere hindering the visibility for the other service. 

Would anyone happen to know where I could look? 

Thanks!  

• 5. Re: [HEAT SM 2016.x] Multi level Incident categorisation - implementation / best practices
                  ford_sb Apprentice

Check out the following:

Configure Application -> Pick Lists -> SubCategory by Service and Category

My conditionals look like this:

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: [HEAT SM 2016.x] Multi level Incident categorisation - implementation / best practices
                    Rookie

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply.

Have checked this section too. All settings are identical to above. 

Has anyone else encountered this issue? 

Thanks,