8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2016 4:51 AM by sthon

Experience with Windows 10 deployment?

sthon Apprentice

Hi,

Has anyone had any experience with the windows 10 deployment yet?

I figure, in BIOS mode it should be to different from Windows 7 deployment, should even work with the old PXE Image.

However, I'd preferable deploy it in UEFI - from what I have read, it requires a uefi capable image on the pxe server. And to be quit honest with you, my only experience with the pxe server is, that i added some drivers into the iso-image we have here. No clue whatsoever how it was made.

So if anybody has some pointers, a bullet-point list or just a link where I could get all the necessary steps to prepare a switch from 7 to 10, or even have a dual boot pxe environment...? Well, it would be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Experience with Windows 10 deployment?
          baotran Apprentice

The LANrev PXE server does not support PXE booting UEFI devices so you'd have to configure the devices to legacy boot to capture the disk image and to restore a disk image. You'll notice that nothing happens when you attempt to PXE boot a UEFI device and it will just boot to the local HD.

3 of 3 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Experience with Windows 10 deployment?
            sthon Apprentice

Yeah, i noticed that already.

Does it work when I install Windows 10 in UEFI mode, switch to BIOS for capturing and deployment and switch afterwards back to UEFI?

Or is Windows set on the BIOS Mode? I don't think so, but I am not sure.

• 3. Re: Experience with Windows 10 deployment?
              sthon Apprentice

Sooo, i cloned a UEFI Windows 10 install by switching to BIOS mode and booting the PXE Image.

- it does not correctly recognize the data size and images the whole 60GB Virtual HDD

- when trying to deploy it to a test system it says "Create File System failed."

Any ideas, or do we have to wait for a Windows 10 compatible Imaging environment?

• 4. Re: Experience with Windows 10 deployment?
                baotran Apprentice

I think the problem is that the ADI disk imaging format does not understand GPT partitions. UEFI requires the boot partition be on a GPT partition rather than a MBR partition. It would be interesting to test if you could capture and restore a disk image of a legacy BIOS Windows 10 system with a MBR partitioning scheme to another legacy BIOS system. If it that works then it pretty much confirms the above issue with ADI having a problem with GPT partitions. Imaging UEFI systems would be out of the question then and you'd have to put them in legacy BIOS mode if you wanted to re-image them.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Experience with Windows 10 deployment?
                  sthon Apprentice

Hi Bao,

you guys havent tried this already? I would have figured that something like this would have been tried with the beta of Win 10 already.

But, I can tell you that it works. I already have a working Windows 10 image (in Legacy BIOS Mode) that can be captured and deployed to different machines, just like 7 with LANRev.

• 6. Re: Experience with Windows 10 deployment?
                    baotran Apprentice

I have not tried this personally. Most of my customers in North America are still on either Windows 7 or Windows 8.1. Some are just starting to take a look at Windows 10. They tend to be rather conservative here in North America and not early adopters.

• 7. Re: Experience with Windows 10 deployment?
                      sthon Apprentice

Yeah, we seem to be at the forefront here in germany as well. But as we are still on 7 and (thankfully) completly ignored 8 and 8.1 it's time for an upgrade. We are looking at the beginning of Q3 to upgrade a part of our inventory to 10.

Maybe i should write something of a sumop of what I did to get Windows 10 to deploy properly - although it's not that different at all from 7.

• 8. Re: Experience with Windows 10 deployment?
                        sthon Apprentice

I wrote a small summary of what I personally do to deploy Windows 10 to our clients. You can find it here: My Windows 10 Imaging Guide