3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2016 9:32 AM by florian1

HEAT Workflow triggered by columnar status of SharePoint document.

patrick.schmidt Rookie

Good day,

Curious if anyone has found an integration point within HEAT that would allow it to 'pull' the status setting of a particular field from an external application?

In my case, the scenario I am envisioning is the following:

1. Pre-existing HEAT workflow that send a notification to a change control board.
      2. Pre-existing SharePoint library containing a planning checklist
        1. Said library contains a column named 'Status' with the following sample options:
          1. New
          2. Under Review
          3. Ready for CAB (gate 1)
          4. Approved (gate 1)
          5. Designing Solution
          6. Ready for CAB (gate 2)
          7. Approved (gate 2).....
          8. ....and so on
      3. It would be ideal if I could trigger the running of HEAT workflows based upon the columnar value of the 'Status' field in the above mentioned SP document library. I.e. When Status equals either case #3 or case #6 (above), and so on....

Is this a custom code approach? (I would presume so). If so, is this something that is possible within the HEAT framework/stack?

Many thanks....

• 1. Re: HEAT Workflow triggered by columnar status of SharePoint document.
          florian1 Expert

Hi Patrick,

so Sharepoint is your leading system for Changes?

If yes, then you should create a workflow in Sharepoint instead:

- Store the Change's RecID or ChangeNumber in Sharepoint (only if it's a 1:1 cardinality)

- use the conditions you have mentioned to trigger the workflow in Sharepoint.

- have some local variables in the Workflow (get item from dictionary etc.)

- use the "Call HTTP Web Service" (for REST) or "Put HTTP" (for SOAP) to either call the HEAT API or a custom Web Service Action

-> use either triggered actions or workflows in HEAT to handle incoming calls and update your Change(s).

Cheers,

Florian

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: HEAT Workflow triggered by columnar status of SharePoint document.
            patrick.schmidt Rookie

Thanks for the reply,

SharePoint is not our lead system for change but it is the lead home for document artifacts and in this instance the home of a checklist that shows that staff have followed all the steps they need prior to escalating an issue to our board.

So while HEAT is envisioned to manage the change, I am looking for opportunities to automate the small tasks like in this case: "Checklist is marked complete -> Notify CAB to take a look at it -> While also capturing the status changes and progress of the item in HEAT.

I do appreciate that your suggestion is another take on the situation and may indeed work for us. I.e. Get the SP workflow to take care of the notifications while in parallel use the HTTP calls to update flags/data in the parallel HEAT change case/ticket.

P.S. You wouldn't have any suggestions on good locales to obtain/review documentation on the HEAT API, or the other methods that you mention? (Honestly, I am finding the HEAT support on third party integrations, or even custom data flows, to be difficult to find)

Many thanks...

• 3. Re: HEAT Workflow triggered by columnar status of SharePoint document.
              florian1 Expert

I would still use HEAT to send out mails and only have Sharepoint activate my triggered workflow/quick action.

This ensures to have a "clear" Change journal.

The Integration Web Service is documented quite good: Develop > Working with the HEAT Integration Web Service.

But if you want to go for a custom incoming Web Service action, the documentation is very poor, yes

You will have to look at the DSM example and you'll find it out.

For an outgoing Web Service action (e.g. a synchronized BO, not applicable here), you can have a look at this thread.

1 of 1 people found this helpful