Upgrading from 6.9 to 6.9.3 I have noticed a bit of improvement on a Dell OptiPlex 755. With 6.9 we saw the LM.Detection process eat about 50% CPU while the svchost (wuauclt) ate 50% as well and lasted well over 45 minutes at a check, keeping the processor at 100% the entire time.
After installing a test machine with LANRev 6.9.3 I upgraded an OptiPlex 755 and I see that the LM.Detection maintains about 20% to 30% CPU for about five to ten minutes and then backs down, there is a LANRev update helper process that spikes for a bit but not as bad as before. The svchost (wuauclt) process still maintains about 50% for a while, but well less than the prior 45 minutes. (My apologies for not having complete details on file names, etc. as I am going completely from memory on testing from Tuesday.)
I found these helpful:
1. Give wuauclt it's own svchost environment via
Command line with 'Run as admin'
sc config wuauserv type= own
Restart 'Windows Update' service or restart the computer
2. Ensure you have the latest Windows Update Agent, Microsoft has released quite a few versions for Windows 7 during 2015 and I have that they don't always update. (Some of the Windows 7 Update Agents actually consume way too much CPU itself.)
Check your version via the details of C:\Windows\System32\wuaueng.dll
I believe the latest for Windows 7x86 as of today is 7.76.7601.19116 via KB3135445
Keep in mind, I pick on Windows 7x86 on a Dell OptiPlex 755 because this has been our biggest pain point. Windows 8.1 uses a different version of Windows Update Agent, I just have not found older versions of Windows 8.1 to be as painful.
In short, the update process with 6.9.3 is still more painful than I would think it should be, but it seems better than 6.9.
Thank you very much for the tip. I will apply and will continue to monitor performances during patching.
We have the same. After every Reboot, lm detection uses one cpu-core 100% for about 15 Minutes, the length depends on the speed of the machine. We already had Users complain that their notebooks are to loud and then discovered that the xml scan engine was running.
For the behaviour you describe, was this with the 6.9.3 agent?
No - we still use 6.8.2, in case of Absolute Manage / LANRef it's "Never change a running system..." for us.
The OP was asking about the 6.9.3 fix. In your case, lm detection using 100% is a known issue and was supposed to be fixed/improved in 6.9.3.
firstname.lastname@example.org Personally, I'd say 24% is not that much. Processes have to use SOME cpu to do what they need to do.
Oh - Ok, sorry - didn't notice the Version number in the first post. My head must be in the cloud today with a slow connection.
If 6.9.3 really fixes the issue, that might be a reason to upgrade for us.
1 of 1 people found this helpful
Some of us are having problems with how the update of the agent is occurring. There are a couple posts about it.
My problem seems a bit worse. I've lost contact with a few hundred machines and so far it appears I need to manually get the agent reinstalled. I have a ticket open on this.
Yeah - those are some of the reasons why I didn't Upgrade yet. We already had quite the problems in the past with System having no Agent at all installed after the upgrades. No fun if you only use LANRef for OS Updates ;-).
1 of 1 people found this helpful
The scan will still take CPU...it is a quite extensive scan to look for all of the 3rd party apps. The newer scan engine should take less CPU than it did before, but more importantly, it runs at a lower priority than other applications. So, you should see that the scan process will appropriately give up CPU to other user-run applications when demanded.