6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2004 12:02 AM by Markus.Hartmann

Have NI-Install start with Logged-in User to run at night

Markus.Hartmann Rookie
      Hi Everybody!

Well, I need some help on a serious problem that we are trying to solve. Acctually this works up to 90% *gg* only the NI-Server makes hard issues.

Problem:
      We want the NIagnt32 to stop and start during night-time so that all installations can start when user is not in the office.

Solution
      - Step1:
      Computer is online and User is logged in but locked!

- Step2:
      created script that calls the AT-Command.

from the Admin-PC we enter "RUN_OSP3.BAT >Computername< >Time<"

run_osp3.bat:
      at \\%1 %2 /INTERACTIVE C:\run_osp3.bat
      net use Y: \\%1\C$
      copy run_osp3.bat Y:\
      copy "C:\Programme\Support Tools\kill.exe" Y:
      net use Y: /D

run_osp3.bat
      @echo off
      C:\kill niagnt32.exe /F

rem      make break for 10 Sec.
      ping %1 -n 10 > NUL

C:\kill.exe outlook.exe /f
      C:\kill.exe saplogon.exe /f
      C:\kill.exe sapgui.exe /f
      C:\kill.exe winword.exe /f
      C:\kill.exe powerpnt.exe /f
      C:\kill.exe pfif.exe /f
      C:\kill.exe excel.exe /f
      C:\kill.exe iexplore* /f

rem      make break for 10 Sec.
      ping %1 -n 10 > NUL

niagnt32.exe
      del C:\kill.exe

Problem:
      Now, the script runs perfect at the >Time< stated at the remote-pc stated in >computername<. It even show the script to the logged in user, BUT after starting the NIAGNT32.EXE again it shows ... Netinstall-Server not found ... :-((

What we did is writting a SET between the commands and there it shows that this script runs as the NIService-Account  and the Windows2000-Default User.

Even after calling the  NIAGNT32.exe >NETINSTALL-SERVER< command, it states that the Server can not be found ....!!

HELP .. how can we solve this?? Do I need to enter a SET= ??? Variable in this script? Or create a Reg-Key to show the script which Server it needs to contact???

I Highly appreciate any help in this matter!
      Either state your help in here or email me to: [email protected]
      - be aware this email will be checked daily but is only for forum-groups.
        • 1. Re: Have NI-Install start with Logged-in User to run at night
          sbr2 Expert
          You must set up your AT Command with the switch /INTERACTIVE. Otherwise your Batchfile works with SYSTEM Account and have no right to connect the network.

Stefan Brutscher
          IT Consulting & Training
          • 2. Re: Have NI-Install start with Logged-in User to run at night
            Markus.Hartmann Rookie
            Hi Stefan!

Well, I did as you can see in my statement:

>> at \\%1 %2 /INTERACTIVE C:\run_osp3.bat
            >> net use Y: \\%1\C$
            >> copy run_osp3.bat Y:\
            >> copy "C:\Programme\Support Tools\kill.exe" Y:
            >> net use Y: /D

It does connect to the Network (see the net use command following). Otherwise the Command-Prompt would not pop up to the user. BUT that Interactive-Mode starts with "System-Account/Default User" instead of the logged in User. That is my problem and this - I guess - is the reason why it says...."Netinstall Server not found".

Either there is a registry-key for that NI-Server in the HKCU - well, must be... if it would be in HKLM the Batch-Command should find the Server-Key, right?

but ..thanks for helping,
            Regards, Markus
            • 3. Re: Have NI-Install start with Logged-in User to run at night
              sbr2 Expert
              Sorry for the first reply. I read over your interactive switch.

But it seems to be the problem with the system account. What happened when you call the batch on the special PC? Please, check also your share security for the system account.

Other question:
              Why you didn't chose the installation with the netinstall service?
              • 4. Re: Have NI-Install start with Logged-in User to run at night
                Markus.Hartmann Rookie
                Well, that is what I thought - but I dont understand why that happens. When I start the batch as the User the same problem accours, it seems that starting NIAGNT32.exe in the command-prompt/ in a batch, it can not find the Netinstall-Server.

I checked the Share/File-Security on the NI-Server, even with everybody it does not work.

I tried it with CPAU or PSEXEC (giving the command the creditionals from the NI-Service-Domain Account) - still doesnt work ;-((

Hmm, well, I would like to do the update/installation during night-time when no users are online.

I dont know any other method to start the installations than starting the NIAGNT32.exe. I cant do it during log-on, that would bring down our bandwith to WAN-Offices during work-time.

If you have any other idea how to manage that I would appreciate any short info.
                • 5. Re: Have NI-Install start with Logged-in User to run at night
                  sbr2 Expert
                  Hi,

test it with the switch /NWCM. Maybe thats help.

niagnt32.exe /NWCM connects with the Service Account.

Regards
                  Stefan
                  • 6. Re: Have NI-Install start with Logged-in User to run at night
                    Markus.Hartmann Rookie
                    Hi Stefan!

I did try this last night already. It .... well kinda works:

a) It starts the Niagtn32.exe and connects to the NI-Server and starts the Installation - BUT it installs now everything starting from A-Z on the PC again.

b) this is just ....."§&&!$%&&))/?`=)(&§%" .... I GIVE UP ;-(

But thanks dough for your help and support SBR! ;-)