3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2005 9:18 AM by robin850

MS Security Patches via CD?

robin850 Apprentice
      I would like to create a CD that includes as many patches as it can hold and then send that to some of my dial-up users so they can "catch up" with patches.  Downloading XP SP2 over dialup would not be cost-effective!

Has anyone done this?  I am hoping to just use the Netinstall CD wizard.
        • 1. Re: MS Security Patches via CD?
          DSMForum Master
          Hi Robin,

This should be fine, just make sure that the user launches the installer from within the cd.  If he is launching the installer from the run line command be sure to have him include the /cd swtich. If you use the Netinstall CD wizard it automatically puts the /cd switch in the autorun.inf, so it’s best practice to have the user launch the installer by simply inserting the cd.

Be cautious with reboots, instruct the user to remove the cd before reboot and re-insert the cd after the user logs back in.  Also install Service Packs before installing any hot fixes because some hot fixes are already included with the latest service packs.  The only way to know if all patches have been installed is if the user re-inserts the cd after reboot and no projects install.

support@netinstall.com
          866-443-0600
          • 2. Re: MS Security Patches via CD?
            robin850 Apprentice
            Thanks.  I'm planning on using the wizard so it launches when inserting the CD.  Because patches are auto, not interactive, how does the user know when the patching is done or what is going on?

It is sort of "blind", not the best method IMHO.  How could a progress bar or something be displayed?

Hi Robin,

This should be fine, just make sure that the user launches the installer from within the cd.  If he is launching the installer from the run line command be sure to have him include the /cd swtich. If you use the Netinstall CD wizard it automatically puts the /cd switch in the autorun.inf, so it’s best practice to have the user launch the installer by simply inserting the cd.

Be cautious with reboots, instruct the user to remove the cd before reboot and re-insert the cd after the user logs back in.  Also install Service Packs before installing any hot fixes because some hot fixes are already included with the latest service packs.  The only way to know if all patches have been installed is if the user re-inserts the cd after reboot and no projects install.

support@netinstall.com
            866-443-0600

• 3. Re: MS Security Patches via CD?
              msantiago Rookie
              Hi Robin,

One easy way is to call the patches from a batch file.  If you use the /passive switch it will show you only a command line.  Using start /wait before launching each command is wise as well.

Marcos Santiago