9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2009 3:34 AM by phoffmann

Scheduled Task runs before scheduled time

Rookie

Has anyone seen this, I create a scheduled task and add several hundred target devices and schedule it to start at a later date/time (or do not schedule it at all) but some devices (just a few) get the package right away. I need to be able to schedle a task for a client install of an application after another group does the server upgrade during the weekend and can't install it even on 1 or 2 devices before the server gets upgraded.

• 1. Re: Scheduled Task runs before scheduled time
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

Are you sure it's from the same scheduled task? And not maybe a policy or whatnot?

You may want to compare the TASK_IDN's involved in the SDCLIENT logs ... how familiar are you with how this works?

Generally, also, any activity from the Scheduler would be logged in the Global Scheduler logs + the normal log, and I don't see it sending out the package to "a few" devices, if anything it would try to do all of them. I'd be looking for other tasks which use the same package (can be done via SQL reasonably easily - depends how comfortable you are with SQL?).

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• 2. Re: Scheduled Task runs before scheduled time
            zman Master

I've seen this 2-3 times, not exactly the same, but very similar. Ours was schedule a task in the future say today at 6:30 pm, and it runs immediately.  The strange thing is that the schedule task says 6:30 p.m with today's date. Time on client workstation running console, core, and SQL are correct.  Can't recreate it and was reported to LANDesk.

• 3. Re: Scheduled Task runs before scheduled time
              Rookie

Thanks Zman, I thought I was going crazy when I saw this. I'm going to try to reproduce it again today.

It's happened several times in the past and I just figured I did something wrong.

• 4. Re: Scheduled Task runs before scheduled time

Mark,

If you can duplicate ...well - first thing is obviously in making it (ideally) dupe reliably.

Then - check if you have a test environment (I hope you do) ... restore your live DB into it and see if the same steps produce the problem. It's *possible* that it's a DB problem (though i doubt it), and usually "if" something in the scheduler should break, it would normally break completly (such as new  .NET versions could cause us a few problems over the years) not ... well ... it doesn't really "break" in a way of not working, it just does things it shouldn't.

Have a look at the clients' SERVICEHOST.LOG files ... might be interesting if it really was the Core telling them to do this (and then check the Core log files) ... either way, if you can duplicate this, I'd suggest taking it up with support.

I'll keep an eye on such reports now that I've been made aware, but haven't seen or heard of something like this myself until now.

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead.

• 5. Re: Scheduled Task runs before scheduled time
                  Rookie

This has happened to me on occasion, but I think I figured out why.  Forgive me for the lack of the expert details.  When I have to push a global task, I have several queries that need to be 'dragged' into the task.  My tasks are mostly policy-supported push. (I thought that PSP was defined as push, then convert to a policy.)  I have found on occasion that while I'm dragging the queries into the task, that one of the queries will actually resolve, and the task will begin.  Not sure that I worded that all correctly, but my solution was to drag one query in, set the task timer for my future start time, then drag the remaining queries into the task.  Hope that helps.

8.7 SP5

• 6. Re: Scheduled Task runs before scheduled time

Interesting ... I'll talk about PSP below, just to clarify something on it

So dragging queries should NOT start this - the queries should only be resolved when the task is started ... (at which point we resolve ALL the queries of the task).

No I say "should" since at least it seems that this isn't what's happening - Z / Mark - are you seeing roughly the same (i.e. - would the clients that have received the package "early" been part of the same query?) ...

Respectively Russ - how many queries do you usually throw at a task (on average) ?

==========

Re: PSP -- Policy Supported Push is "Push then Policy", BUT (and this needs to be made sure), it becomes only a policy for devices where the push has failed (i.e. - ones that were off / not on the network). For devices where the push has worked, it will not become a policy.

Paul Hoffmann

• 7. Re: Scheduled Task runs before scheduled time
                      Apprentice

The biggest task that I administer is security patching which involves approx. 27 queries.  Is that a lot?

• 8. Re: Scheduled Task runs before scheduled time
                        Apprentice

This may or may not have happened to me on a policy last week. Unfortunately, it was a policy that rebooted all the machines...

• 9. Re: Scheduled Task runs before scheduled time

27 queries in itself is not a lot. The question is more how big those queries are. For instance if you do various " CN=* "-type searches in an AD of 50,000 devices (say), then yeah, this will generate quite a bit of work.

If, on the other hand, you only do LDMS queries on a DB of 500 nodes, then the effort on the server is a lot less. It's really a case of "it depends", you would need to look into your SCHEDQRY logs to see how long it takes to resolve queries per cycle.

Paul Hoffmann