3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2009 8:13 AM by phoffmann

driver installing in to the image

Apprentice

Hi all,

i would like to have an os image for mor then one pc models. So i would like to install some drivers to the allready captured image of my xp ist it possible? Like add the drivers to the PE image.

thanks in advance

• 1. Re: driver installing in to the image
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

You may want to read this:

http://www.droppedpackets.org/osd/hii-winpe.zip/view

That Hardware Independent Imaging info sounds pretty much spot on as to what you're after...

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• 2. Re: driver installing in to the image
            Apprentice

thank you very much that is what im surching for.

• 3. Re: driver installing in to the image
              phoffmann SupportEmployee

LANDesk itself does not. no. That is - I assume - if you're talking about a "bible of how HII should be done" - and there won't be, because there's a lot of different ways to do them, each with different strengths and weaknesses.

Generally, LANDesk't philosophy is to try and tie down users as little as possible - meaning that there's a lot of freedom to do things.

While customer A may find "Oranges" to work for them, Customer B may find that "Oranges" don't work at all for them, and would much rather stick to "apples".

The HII document above is a "real world" document, based on plenty of experience, but it's still just a guideline. Take from it what will work for you, and what won't.

There isn't a single document to say "this is how HII should be done" ... because there is not a single way. There's dozens of ways to do it, and hundreds, if not thousands of nuances. The documents you can find on droppedpackets for instance are to be read as "things that work for me" (so to speal) - you may find that whatever process they use would not work for your environment. Environments tend to differ a lot.

This is why white papers tend to focus on relatively few things (such as "how do I add a driver to WinPE?") instead of telling people "this is how you should use OSD", because our customers decide that for themselves.

I hope that this answers your question and explains why there's so much flying around - because at the end of the day, what we provide are essentially options and potential - what you chose to pursue is individual to you.

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead.