9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2009 6:14 AM by Frank Wils

Extending Inventory with custom fields... from another database?

Rookie

We need to import custom inventory fields into the LDMS database from a SQL database. These fields will be used in Queries for reporting and distribution.

What is the most efficient way to do this?

Are there built-in ways to do it or is this a custom endevor?

Hase anyone done this and willing to share the methods and code?

thank you for the help

• 2. Re: Extending Inventory with custom fields... from another database?
          Rookie

I read your article... looks like a good start on a nice article though it looks like you never finished since some potentially valueable info in hte TODO sections are missing?

Option 1 is not good IMO, for the reasons you state and many others you don't. (it is not an "enterprise" solution)

Option 2 is what I've been looking at but in your article I did not see any commercial info you mention? I'd like to link extgernal databases directly... either using SSIS, or preferabbly a LANDesk supported method via the SDK. I did not know if there was anythign built into the SDK that would make that easy? I'm concerned about the supportability os a custom solution from LANDesk's support team.... will we still get support if we extend the database to add many attributes?

thanks for the help!

• 3. Re: Extending Inventory with custom fields... from another database?
            zman Master

Aaron,

If you provide some specifics it might help us point you into the right direction.  What specific types of data do you want to import and how would it be used?

• 4. Re: Extending Inventory with custom fields... from another database?
              SupportEmployee

You might want to look at Managed Planet's Data Translation Services.  This one of many features it performs.  Importing data from external data sources and putting it anywhere (new fields or old) in the database.

• 5. Re: Extending Inventory with custom fields... from another database?
                Rookie

I have attributes from sources like PeopleSoft, Active Directory, and a custom DB that I want to populate into computer inventory in LDMS. Items like organization, dept, location ID, business owner, and several more.

Managed Planet... I briefly looked at it. It was pretty pricy and not enterprise ready for several reason, IMO.

thanks for the help guys, keep the ideas coming please

• 6. Re: Extending Inventory with custom fields... from another database?
                  Employee

Droppedpackets.Org has a "no commercial software beyond LANDesk itself" policy, so it doesn't link -- but ManagedPlanet and NetworkD are the ones I'm thinking of. Neither gets past the architectural flaws in method 2, but both have support to minimize the risk.

The SDK is intended for ISVs and is priced accordingly, not to mention being really difficult to get; I work here and don't have a copy.

As far as support goes; the database is designed to be extended. More power to you for using the capability, but don't come crying if you step on a landmine. I've seen support be very willing to help with sensible issues, but if you nuke the whole thing with a GIGO problem, good luck.

Method 1 and Method 3 are the safest and sanest options... Method 1 for the data that can be programmatically gathered from a single machine without going too crazy (see ldms_client), and Method 3 for the "I'm gonna build me a federated data store with some of them ITIL and NASCAR bumper stickers on it" crowd.

• 7. Re: Extending Inventory with custom fields... from another database?
                    zman Master

Cool, so the first question is LANDesk the right DB to house this information? This is something that will have to be addressed by your organization. The reason I posed the question is that you may already have a Asset Management sytem in house that may be a better resting place for this data.  So the issues with the LANDesk DB is that it currently is machine centric, and possibly not permanent (depending on how often you have the inv service scrubbing the DB). If your shop is like mine and other than there is no 1:1 relationship between user and computer.  We have some machines with 200+ profiles. So the user who is associated with the linked data during inv scan 1 may not be the same one with scan 2 or 3.... This cause some issues.

One thing you may want to look at is Netd's AD Groups. http://www.networkd.com/LANDesk_Add-On_ADGroups.html We currently poplulate alot of our people soft information into AD. So we only have on hook to AD for the information. Maybe not the best solution for you but it works and is reasonably priced.

_____________________________________________________________
                    Posting Guidelines
                    I am not an employee of LANDesk. My views expressed in this post are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of any normal human being.

• 8. Re: Extending Inventory with custom fields... from another database?
                      Rookie

I've been trying to get ADgroups working in my lab and it will not see the <local> LDMS DB... not sure why. I will try again later today.

Can we easily create complex distro queries using it along with inventory db info?

Example...

AD.Region = "APAC" AND Computer.OS <> "%server%" AND AD.Location = "QW12" AND LD.Inventory.<application installed>="no"

... in other words: check to ensure that the computer has AD Attributes (not OU location) equal to APAC, in LDMS the OS does not contain 'server' and the AD Location attrib is QW12... AND the application is not shown in the LDMS inventory for the computer.

this is one example.. there will be many of these and some probably more complex.

• 9. Re: Extending Inventory with custom fields... from another database?
                        Frank Wils ITSMMVPGroup

Aaron,

Just out of curiousity,

"Managed Planet... I briefly looked at it. It was pretty pricy and not enterprise ready for several reason, IMO"

Can you tell me some of the reasons why you thought so? I've worked with DTS and would value to hear your point-of-view on it!

Thanks,

Frank

Axle-IT