5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2009 8:21 AM by PatGmac

DMG mount options?

Apprentice

Is there somewhere in the console or the client where I can specify the mounting options for DMG files that are pushed for patching or installing?

Specifically I would like to exclude the mounting from system notifications so that the Anti-Virus software does not get triggered to scan every DMG as it mounts.

Something like: HDIUTIL_OPTIONS="-readonly -private -noverify -nobrowse"

• 1. Re: DMG mount options?
          SupportEmployee

Gil,

Currently there is no way to edit the mount command that is being used by software distribution or security suite. I have passed the feature request on to our product management group along with why you need the feature.

Does the AV scan of the disk image cause any negative effects? Is it keeping the disk image from being unmounted? Just slowing down how long the task takes? Also can you tell us what AV you are using?

• 2. Re: DMG mount options?
            Apprentice

We are using Symantec Anti-Virus 10 corporate edition.

It is slowing down the process and it is annoying for users. We push out patches and the AV keeps scanning each successive patch as LANDesk installs one after the other. We haven't noticed the DMG not unmounting, but the user should not be seeing the mounting and scanning. So much for a silent install. :-)

It seems to me that LANDesk would just set the default to keep the mounting private and no browsing. So that way when installs and patching happened they would be truly be silent.

Thanks for passing the feature request along to the software developers.

• 3. Re: DMG mount options?
              Apprentice

One option is to disable the progress window that pops up. But this will need to be done globally AFAIK and will apply with non-LANDesk related disc mounts as well.

defaults write com.symantec.autoprotect ShowMountProgOn -int 0

Another option is to use .zip files instead of dmg's.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: DMG mount options?
                Apprentice

Yes, I use zips now for most of the Mac software distributions, but almost all the files for patching supplied by LANDesk to go with their Security and Patch Manager are on DMGs.

I don't really want to disable the AV scanning globally for something that I believe should be silent to begin with. Or at least give the option to make silent.

For cases where I must use a DMG for distributions, I usually script the whole thing, including the DMG mounting, and I make sure that the dmg mounting happens silently. That way the AV does not scan. After all, these are DMGs that I supply, I'm confident that they are virus free and do not need to be scanned.

Thanks for the input.

For the record you can mount a DMG like this, and it will not be scanned by AV or even show up on the users desktop:

hdiutil attach /path/to/my.dmg -readonly -private -noverify -nobrowse

• 5. Re: DMG mount options?
                  Apprentice

gilburns wrote:

I don't really want to disable the AV scanning globally for something that I believe should be silent to begin with. Or at least give the option to make silent.

I wasn't suggesting disabling AV scanning, just the "progress" window that pops up.