8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2009 3:46 AM by superdude500

Installing Jave 6 JRE with Landesk

Rookie

Hi all, im trying to deploy Java 6 update 3 to about 400 PC's using landesk software distribution. The Java install itself is fine but i need autoupdates for Java to be disabled. Its well documented that the command line java install switch to do it doesnt work.

So is there a way of incorporating a batch file into my java install task that will change the registry key i need? Ive already created the batch file and it links to a .reg file and that works fine. But i cant get Landesk to add it as a "Final Package" in the properties of the scheduled task (with the main java install as the "main package". Is that the right thing to do?

How can i install java and then run this registry key update in one distribution package/scheduled task?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Installing Jave 6 JRE with Landesk
          Rookie

In Security and Patch, make a Custom Definition. Then you can push it out to all the desktops.

skihaus

• 2. Re: Installing Jave 6 JRE with Landesk
            jdoe Apprentice

If you have a Security Suite subscription, there is already a security threat definition for disabling Java update (ST000203).  If not, I would use a batch file distribution to kick off the Java install, and then the registry settings.

• 3. Re: Installing Jave 6 JRE with Landesk
              Apprentice

I've recently deployed Java 6 Update 10 to a few hundred clients, and disabled updates etc.

I put the commands in a batch file and deployed it. Works Great.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

REM Install JAVARuntime 1.6 update 10 - Drew 14/11/08

start /w jre-6u10-windows-i586-p-s.exe  /s /v"/qn ADDLOCAL=ALL IEXPLORER=1 REBOOT=Suppress JAVAUPDATE=0"

:: Configure Plugin
              REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Plug-in\1.6.0_10" /v HideSystemTrayIcon /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

:: Disable Update
              REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Update\Policy" /v EnableJavaUpdate /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
              REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Update\Policy" /v EnableAutoUpdateCheck /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
              REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Update\Policy" /v NotifyDownload /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
              REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Update\Policy" /v NotifyInstall /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
              REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Update\Policy" /v PromptAutoUpdateCheck /f

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• 4. Re: Installing Jave 6 JRE with Landesk
                Rookie

Hi Drew, thanks for posting that, and thanks to all the other posters.

Drew when i try to run that batch file Landesk says "incorrect function" even though when i run it manually its ok, any ideas?

Cheers

• 5. Re: Installing Jave 6 JRE with Landesk
                  Apprentice

Bob

Have you changed your paths to reflect update 3 rather than update 10?

Drew

• 6. Re: Installing Jave 6 JRE with Landesk
                    Apprentice

Bob

Re-reading you original post - The code I gave you can be put into a batch file and this is all you will need.

ie -

Save the code into a batch file. ie install.bat

Ammend code to Suit your Version of Java

Create new distribution Batch File Package and add batch file as primary File

Add Java install exe as additional file

Create Scheduled task from this Package.

I've never seen this "incorrect function" you mention - It sounds like you've told LANDesk to look for something that doesn't exist.

Cheers

Drew

• 7. Re: Installing Jave 6 JRE with Landesk
                      mrspike SSMMVPGroup

I get the "incorrect function" on one of my .bat files, the job completes, I just think I do not get / give an good exit code

• 8. Re: Installing Jave 6 JRE with Landesk
                        Rookie

Hi guys, thanks got it sorted.

In the batch file i was referencing the files i need by their full network path in the batch file, as soon as i added them as additional files in the distribution task it works great.

Thanks again