6 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2009 10:11 AM by aparker

Reporting on Resolutions

evans_b Rookie

I'm trying to report on incident resolutions.  If an incident has been resolved more than once (re-opened then resolved again) I'm only interested in showing the latest resolution.  I know that im_incident_resolution.im_id contains the resolution number but how do I make my report only show the latest one?

Any help would be much appreciated!
      Thanks

• 1. Re: Reporting on Resolutions
          elizabethcombrink Employee

I've asked for a request to have a Last Resolution value in the im_incident, like there is a latest assignment guid to make this simple.  If you ask for it too it pushes up the ranking :-)

The only way around it that I have is to create a view to extract the guid of the last resolution guid and the incident guid, but thats not as easy as it sounds!

• 2. Re: Reporting on Resolutions
            karenpeacock SupportEmployee

Hello

If you look at the post below, I've uploaded a few reports and some views.  One of the views is for max closure.  This will bring back the max serial number of the closure records associated to an incident.  If you change the table names from im_incident_closure to im_incident_ resolution (from memory so double check this!) then this should do the trick.  You then just need to add the view into your report and then when you link im_incident to im_incident_resolution do so via the guids in the view.

I'm assuming that you were using Crystal to do your report but if this isn't the case or if the above isn't clear just let me know and I'll see if I can help.

http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-5205

Thanks

• 3. Re: Reporting on Resolutions
              Rookie

I too have had a lot of difficulty with reports on the latest resolution.  I have overcome this within Crystal Reports (XI) by creating multiple groups and ordering the (resolution) group by the last update.

For example I have three groups as follows:

Group 1 - lc_response_level.lc_title (ascending order)

Group 2 - im_incident.im_id (ascending order)

Group 3 - im_incident_resolution.im_last_update (descending order, i.e. latest first)

You can then add any of the fields from or linked to im_incident_resolution on to the Group 2 header and they will be from the last (latest) resolution.

For example in my organisation we are interested to know the resolution category so I added im_incident_resolution_cat.im_title.  By suppressing Group 3 you will only see the fields returned on the Group 2 header, i.e. the latest resolution category by ticket number.

I hope this both makes sense and helps.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Reporting on Resolutions
                Rookie

We use the a similar view for all of our resolution reporting and it works really well, If it's as i remember, the resolutions are assigned a serial number by the view and then it performs a count of the serial number and returns the highest valued one (most recent) for the resolutions.

• 5. Re: Reporting on Resolutions
                  elizabethcombrink Employee

I am considering the following

Create duplicate attributes on the Incident Object for Resolution Date, Problem Category, Resolution Category, Description etc.  Everything I need on the resolution.

Create an Incident Window with these attributes on, and associate with a new Resolve action.

Use and Automatic Action and Value Types to copy the resolution data to the Resolve object and get to the Resolved status.

This way, I will easily be able to report on the actual resolution of an incident, and if you do unresolve, then the next resolution will have the same description etc that can just be amended as appropriate.

Any thoughts on this?

• 6. Re: Reporting on Resolutions
                    aparker Employee

Or....

Just create a generic audit trail object with related action that can be placed in the processes wherever you want as an automatic action. You can provide a number of attributes for that object that will be populated using value types. That will confine all critical events to a single table that will be much easier to report on.

Andy