5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2009 2:59 AM by phoffmann

Logs of Scheduled Tasks Per User

Apprentice

Is there a way to see a log of all scheduled tasks that are scheduled either as a push and/or policy for a user?  Let's say that some administrator pushes out a bad script without testing it, and you need to find out who exactly would do such a thing.  Nothing like that has happened here, but just in case...

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Logs of Scheduled Tasks Per User
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

You'd have to hack this through SQL. There's no "standard report" for this at the moment.

How comfortable are you with query'ing the database? If you're not comfortable, do you have a DBA resource available to help you?

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• 2. Re: Logs of Scheduled Tasks Per User
            Employee

What are you thinking, Paul? Triggers? I've been noodling about with some design ideas for ldms_core to gather scheduled tasks info, but I don't see a way to gather information on transient tasks (just the sort that cause the most damage, when the user realizes what happened and deletes the task).

• 3. Re: Logs of Scheduled Tasks Per User

Actually, I was thinking of a SQL script - I usually go by a motto of "simple is best - simple doesn't break". It holds true in many cases .

So - each delivery method has a particular identifier (that I'd need to find) - and each scheduled task is linked to a "delivery method" as it were (whether it's custjob, a push task, or whatnot) - and it's possible to whizz up some SQL for this (or at least, so my swiss cheese memory tells me), to find all scheduled tasks where the respective delivery method belong to a specific type.

Adding a filter for a user is simple too, since each task belongs to a CONSOLEUSER_IDN - so that's just another "where" clause ... it may get a bit messy in some cases, and I'd need to look at various things in the DB to remember what's where, but I think this is doable.

It'll just not be a report is all .

Paul Hoffmann

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Logs of Scheduled Tasks Per User
                Apprentice

I don't know SQL very well, and I don't have direct access to the SQL database, but my DBA does.  It's good to know this kine of thing is possible if the time comes.  I wish it were easier to report though!

• 5. Re: Logs of Scheduled Tasks Per User

Well - it's pretty much impossible to have reports for every possible thing (in this case, it's the first time I see the request).

Since "the data is there", it's not too uncommong to be pulling the data straight out of the database to generate the custom report that you (or other customers) are after. Additionally. you can always log Enhancement Requests for additional reports you will use a fair bit so that they can be included in future releases.

Paul Hoffmann