1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2009 5:55 AM by phoffmann

WinPE menu not displayed, but splash screen is???

Rookie

Hi all,

I'm currently experiencing a problem with a HP D230, but can I make it clear that I have several other different types of HP computers that can access the WinPE menu successfully and then successfully deploy an image.

My LANDesk Management Suite is ver 8.8.

The problem i'm experiencing is as follows:-

1.     Press F12 when booting up, Press F8 to access the list

2.     Select WinPE menu

3.     The RAMDisk is loaded

4.     The WinPE / LANDesk splash screen is displayed, but no WinPE Menu is displayed

On the LANDesk server in the log files no CJ-OSD file is created, so I checked the CoreWebServices log which has the following:-

26/03/2009 09:30:02 : ShouldBootToDos: request received for client 0002E32EE803, proxy 000E7FB444E9
      26/03/2009 09:30:02 : ShouldBootToDos: found objid 145 from MAC address 0002E32EE803
      26/03/2009 09:30:02 : ShouldBootToDos: done, client 0002E32EE803, proxy 000E7FB444E9, result False
      26/03/2009 09:30:02 : ShouldBootToLinuxpe: request received for client 0002E32EE803, proxy 000E7FB444E9
      26/03/2009 09:30:02 : ShouldBootToLinuxpe: found objid 145 from MAC address 0002E32EE803
      26/03/2009 09:30:02 : ShouldBootToLinuxpe: done, client 0002E32EE803, proxy 000E7FB444E9, result False
      26/03/2009 09:30:02 : ShouldBootToWinPE: request received for client 0002E32EE803, proxy 000E7FB444E9
      26/03/2009 09:30:02 : ShouldBootToWinPE: found objid 145 from MAC address 0002E32EE803
      26/03/2009 09:30:02 : ShouldBootToWinPE: done, client 0002E32EE803, proxy 000E7FB444E9, result False
      26/03/2009 09:30:02 : ShouldGoInPxeHoldingQueue: request received for client 0002E32EE803, proxy 000E7FB444E9
      26/03/2009 09:30:02 : ShouldGoInPxeHoldingQueue: found objid 145 from MAC address 0002E32EE803
      26/03/2009 09:30:02 : ShouldGoInPxeHoldingQueue: 0002E32EE803 has status ''
      26/03/2009 09:30:02 : ShouldGoInPxeHoldingQueue: done, client 0002E32EE803, proxy 000E7FB444E9, result False

After which point I would expect to see a Run Script, but nothing appears in the log and the splash screen continues to be displayed, but without the Menu popping up.

Can I also add that a mini scan is being recieved by the core server in the following location ...\ldmain\ldscan\storage.

Any help would be most appreciated,

Thanks,

Lee.

• 1. Re: WinPE menu not displayed, but splash screen is???
          Employee

Hi Lee,

Please run a few tests and let me know the results:

1 - From within WinPE open a command prompt and verify that you have an ip address by typing IPConfig.

2 - Run pxemenustart from the command prompt and see if it opens the window.

When you get the results please feel free to post them here.

• 2. Re: WinPE menu not displayed, but splash screen is???
            Rookie

Hi,

Thanks for your quick response.

When the splash screen is displayed, there is no "Go" in the bottom left hand corner to open New Console.

Any further help would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Lee.

• 3. Re: WinPE menu not displayed, but splash screen is???
              Employee

Lee,

Through the case you have open with LANDesk Support I have requested that you send me the WinPE image you are using.  Once I get done testing it I will update this string with the results in case anyone else runs across the same problem.

Thanks!

• 4. Re: WinPE menu not displayed, but splash screen is???
                Rookie

The problem occurs when using a HP D230 workstation to access the WinPE menu.  The splash screeen appears after the Windows Pre Installation Environment has loaded, but then nothing happens, the menu isn't displayed and also the "Go" in the bottom left hand corner doesn't appear.

This problem through trial and error has been resolved.

The problem seems to be down to the onboard NIC, which is a Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller.

The drivers for this NIC were injected into the ldvpe1.img file and the PXE representative was deployed.

The workstation was then attempting to access the WinPE menu on about 20 occasions, of which on a couple of occasions the menu was successfully accessed and an image deployed, but on all other occasion the splash screen appears, but then nothing else happens.  At the same time other HP workstations (d31, dx2000, dx2200 & d5800) were successfully accessing the WinPE menu and deploying an image everytime.

To resolve the problem an Intel Pro 10/100 Network Adapter was installed, and when using this NIC instead of the onboard NIC the workstation successfully accesses the WinPE menu and deploys an image everytime.

Could I just ask if anyone knows why this should happen and how it can be resolved, so that I can use the onboard NIC???

Thanks in advance.

Lee.

• 5. Re: WinPE menu not displayed, but splash screen is???
                  phoffmann SupportEmployee

It "shouldn't" happen per se, but does if you get bad drivers / drivers that don't work too well with WinPE 1.1 ...

Broadcom NIC's can have this problem pretty commonly - usually people need to check various revs of drivers from the OEM (sometimes a driver 2 revs back WILL work), or even Broadcom's own drivers as another resort (I suggest checking the last 3 revs from the OEM, and then Broadcom's own drivers)..

You can try to contact the OEM and get them to provide drivers which will actually work in WinPE - depending on how far/close to EOL'ing your hardware is, this may be a more or less tricky thing to do.

All in all, it's "just" a case of the driver not doing what it's supposed to (as proven by the fact that as soon as you use another NIC, it works fine) - so that's where you need to go down to look for a resolution. We can't help beyond this (since the NIC isn't our code).

Hope this explains.

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• 6. Re: WinPE menu not displayed, but splash screen is???
                    Apprentice

Lee,

To follow on with what others are saying about drivers, I have had very similar issues with boxes not displaying the "Go" menu and acting very odd within WinPE.  Just like your situation, 1 out of 10 same-model machines booting into WinPE would act just fine, but the rest would not.

On one Gateway model I had to instruct our technicians when imaging to first go into the BIOS and set the Hard Drive Access mode to "legacy" instead of "enhanced".  Effectively, this forced WinPE to use some built-in PnP driver to access the SATA hard drive.  I could never find the exact driver that WinPE wanted for that particular model to make use of AHCI mode in WinPE.  As soon as the techs changed to "legacy" everything worked fine and after imaging they could put the drive back into "enhanced" mode to make use of AHCI because the OS had the right drivers (you'd think I could use the same driver in WinPE but it never worked right).

Little odd things like that have happened with other models, but are all usually related to a driver being slightly "off" in WinPE.

Mike

• 7. Re: WinPE menu not displayed, but splash screen is???
                      phoffmann SupportEmployee

Be careful about using "same model" ... A "somemodelname" is very rarely actually identical to another "somemodelname" - this is true for ALL of the OEM's. Odds are that if you order 200 PC's, 190 odd are going to be different in some way or another .

Things like NIC's in particular are prone to be revved or use slightly different silicon ... it's really annoying since you may have 9 PC's that work fine, while one does not, and yet (from a superficial point of view) they all should be the same.

This is a sad reality (my being an idealist, I'd far prefer if the OEM's would REALLY just use the same hardware throughout, but that's never going to happen, as revving motherboard's alone is "normal process" because of some bugs can not be fixed through BIOS updates) ... so it's a bit tricky either way.

Anyway - just one other thing to look out for.

And yes - generally - if your BIOS *does* give you an option to run in a Legacy/Compatibility mode - I'd suggest using it. It saves having to rely on the storage driver alone (which, as Lee pointed out above, can go wrong in some cases too - with much frustration as a result).

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• 8. Re: WinPE menu not displayed, but splash screen is???
                        Apprentice

100% agree with Paul.  I've seen 50 laptops show up from Gateway specifically, all with the same Model # but 15 had a different NIC entirely and 20 had a completely different motherboard than ones we had ordered 1 month prior.

Makes our job all the harder.  When I was building our HII environment I spent more time than I care to mention silently yelling at my monitor "WHY ISN'T THIS WORKING?!!!!", only to find that the "same model" I was testing on wasn't exactly the same as the model I used to build the HII driver set.  

• 9. Re: WinPE menu not displayed, but splash screen is???
                          Rookie

Update on the problem.

I have successfully accessed the WinPE menu and deployed an image.  Then I attempted it on another identical workstation, but it failed, with the WinPE menu not displayed etc.....

So as a test and to have a look at what you have all suggested, I attempted to access the WinPE menu on the workstation that I successfully imaged about 30 minutes before, and this workstation now can't access the WinPE menu........

How can the same workstation on one attempt be successful and on the next not.......

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Lee.

• 10. Re: WinPE menu not displayed, but splash screen is???
                            Apprentice

Lee,

My vote is still a driver issue.  I say this because I had the EXACT same thing happen on the machines where I turned off "enhanced" mode.  On some of the machines I didn't have to turn anything off and they just worked.  I couldn't figure it out.  I would boot the exact same machine into WinPE after successfully deploying an image and the "Go" menu wouldn't be there.

After changing from "enhanced" to "legacy" in the BIOS, effectively changing what driver was being used for the storage controller, the problem never came back and has worked 100% of the time on that model.  There may not be a different NIC setting you can try in the BIOS, but there may be a newer, or in a lot of cases older, driver available that might be more reliable.

Mike

• 11. Re: WinPE menu not displayed, but splash screen is???
                              Rookie

Hi Mike,

Sorry I meant to say, in the BIOS there is no option for anything to be changed to or from Enhanced or Legacy.

Unless this would appear after a BIOS update?

Thanks,

Lee.

• 12. Re: WinPE menu not displayed, but splash screen is???
                                Apprentice

Lee,

I apologize if I wasn't clear.  You probably will not have those options in the BIOS as all BIOS and hardware look a little different.  What I was trying to illustrate was that the problem was driver-related.  By changing from "enhanced" to "legacy" I was changing the driver being used within WinPE.  "Legacy" mode used a standard Plug and Play storage driver where "Enhanced" was trying to find an AHCI Intel Storage controller driver.  That Intel driver didn't exist in WinPE.  By changing which driver was used the system operated normally.

I think Paul and some others recommended looking for a different driver for your built-in NIC.  This is probably the way to go if using a typical Intel 10/100 solved your problem.

Mike

• 13. Re: WinPE menu not displayed, but splash screen is???
                                  ahe Expert

Sometimes you can find this or a similar issue, if you use a 10/100 hub or a older 10/100 switch with more than one clients...

I've seen this as we install 8 clients through a older 10/100 switch, some client can connect, some not, some boot but no menu,...

Or the inventory service on the core is crashed/stopped. We've the problem in the past with often stopped inventory service... (it seems it is fixed since 8.7 SP6)

Regards

Axel

• 14. Re: WinPE menu not displayed, but splash screen is???
                                    Henrik.Heves Apprentice

Hello Lee,

I have same problem. I try to imaging a PC with ASUS P5L-VM 1394 motherboard. Did you figure out what can be the problem?

Thanks a lot, Henrik

1 2 Previous Next