1 2 Previous Next 25 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2009 2:21 PM by Mach6

DOS OS deployment tool cannot map drive to image server

Rookie

IMAGE_196i.JPGHello

I get the error message password for image server is invalid, i can map this drive in windows, but not in DOS, this was possible before,

• 1. Re: DOS OS deployment tool cannot map drive to image server
          ahe Expert

Hello,

we need some more hints... :-)

• LD version + SP?
          • Does the mapping work from a Windows (XP) machine with the same account?
          • Did you check if the null-session-share exist? (sometimes the null-session-share is lost, because of... patches???)
          • Is the inventory service started on the core? (sometimes the service crashed or hang, try to restart the service)

Regards

Axel

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: DOS OS deployment tool cannot map drive to image server
            Rookie

LD version is 8.70.0.109

Yes we can map drive to windows share with same account on XP machine

Null session I dont know ..How can i check????????????

Inventry server service is started

Lets narrow in on the Null session then

• 3. Re: DOS OS deployment tool cannot map drive to image server
              ahe Expert

Hello,

you can find it here: \\coreserver\ldmain\Utilities\sysshrs.exe

With this tool you can set your shares to null-session shares...

Take a look in these documents too:

How to Create a Null Session Share on Windows 2003 or 2008

or

http://download.landesk.com/support/mgtsuite6.62/shares/shares.doc

How to enable null session shares on a Windows 2000-based computer

Regards

Axel

• 4. Re: DOS OS deployment tool cannot map drive to image server
                phoffmann SupportEmployee

Couple of additional hints (in addition to what was said already).

1 - Please make sure you read the LANDesk Management Suite 8.7 Deployment guide - specifically this section "Preparing a Windows 2003 Server for a
                Management Suite core server installation" (on page 49 onwards). The Deployment guide is on the product CD ("LDMSDeploy.pdf").

The thing to do is to make sure those local policies are applied to the server you're using as an image storage server.

2 - If you use an active directory account, you should be OK (assuming your AD responds timely to the client). If you use a LOCAL account's credentials, you need to make sure that those are used correctly for the respective servers (check the LDLOGON.EXE line in the script) -- suggestion would be to use an AD account though.

3 - Don't rely on DNS. DNS can be real shoddy on DOS (since DOS doesn't use DNS, it uses WINS). You may want to add static entries to the LMHOSTS file (DOS's WINS version of the HOSTS file) to make sure the right IP's are paired up on the clients (you make this change in the virtual boot floppies).

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• 5. Re: DOS OS deployment tool cannot map drive to image server
                  ahe Expert

AND use a fix IP address for your PXE server, otherwise you can get some "nice" other errrors...I've had this on a PXE of a other site in a other country... and searched for the "real" error...

• 6. Re: DOS OS deployment tool cannot map drive to image server
                    Rookie

Guess What???

We have Andrew in from Avocent, who is updated our core server from 8.7 to LDM 8.8 and we are moving from DOS PE to WINPE, so hopefully this might clear our old DOSPE issues, FINGERS CROSSED!!!

• 7. Re: DOS OS deployment tool cannot map drive to image server
                      ahe Expert

I think it will solve the problems and increase the installation performance with the native 32bit network driver... :-)

Regards

Axel

• 8. Re: DOS OS deployment tool cannot map drive to image server
                        Rookie

I am having this exact same issue and have checked all the previous mentioned settings and all are correct. LDMS 8.8 SP2.

• 9. Re: DOS OS deployment tool cannot map drive to image server

One of the things to remember with DOS OSD is that you *MUST* make sure that your Core's local policies are set as we need them to (check the LDMSDEPLOY.PDF -- page 49 of 121 - the heading "Preparing a Windows 2003 Server for a Management Suite core server installation".

That lists the local policies that MUST be set, and 90% of them are in order to get OSD to work (specifically, the network mapping) - without them, this WILL not work.

Or - in other words - by default, a Windows 2003 server will NEVER accept a network mapping from a DOS OS.

This stuff is commonly missed out / overlooked.

- Paul Hoffmann

• 10. Re: DOS OS deployment tool cannot map drive to image server
                            ahe Expert

FYI the path to the doc in your core installation files directory:

\docs\LDMS\LDMSDeploy.pdf

Regards

Axel

• 11. Re: DOS OS deployment tool cannot map drive to image server
                              Rookie

As I said in the first thread, I have done all this and I just rechecked everytingto make sure before I started typing this.

I did an activation and coredbutl just for good measure.

I am currently upgrading to SP3 as well. I will update after this completes.

I enetered a ticket for this on Monday and have yet to even get a call or email from tech support on this, very disappointing.

• 12. Re: DOS OS deployment tool cannot map drive to image server
                                Rookie

Ok upgrade did not work...

Here is the task log:

"Machine","CbaStatus","ExitCode","Duration","Begin","End","Command"
                                "001C230888FA","OK",0,0:00:00,8/5/2009 9:03:00 AM,8/5/2009 9:03:00 AM,"DOS"
                                "001C230888FA","OK",0,0:00:02,8/5/2009 9:03:00 AM,8/5/2009 9:03:02 AM,"ldlogon.exe landesk 108A4A37F8107789957563E5C44 Lakota, TIMEOUT=300"
                                "001C230888FA","CANCELED","N/A","0:00:00","8/5/2009 9:03:43 AM","8/5/2009 9:03:43 AM","N/A"
                                ; "Job Complete","0 Done","0 Failed","0 Off","1 Unknown"

• 13. Re: DOS OS deployment tool cannot map drive to image server

So - let's cover the basics potentially.

Create either a new OSD (a custom ) script, where the only command you're going to execute is:

REMEXEC##=command

This will drop you out into DOS command line. From there you can then try and see if you can connect to your server's via NET USE in the first place.

=> If that won't work, then your problems are to do with policies on the cores (potentially GPO as well fingering in there somewhere).

If this does work, it's possible that the LDLOGON password was fat-fingered (LDLOGON won't accept non-hashed passwords, if I'm not mistaken - as a security measure). Also, LDLOGON cannot (!) be run from the command-line which makes testing here a bit painful (this above and beyond this being DOS).

Give this a whack - the basic command prompt and NET USE is something I've used a lot in the first days of OSD when DOS was a common occurence (about as common as the problems in getting a 2003 server or so being willing to talk to DOS).

ALSO ... one thing is to look at the devices you're trying to connect to. A few basic rules that I still remember from that time..

* DOS does *NOT* like NIC-teams, at all. Talk to a single-NIC device (no fancy teaming) - teaming software doesn't seem to have been written with "talking to DOS" in mind.

* Don't rely on AD - there's plenty of things that can go wrong with AD-authentication in DOS. Try using a local user instead (i.e. "MyImageServer\Bob"). This removes the AD as another source of problems as well.

Let's see how this goes first of all ... if this doesn't help, I can see what else there is in my e-mail vault of useful stuff. But your first priority is to make sure that basic NET USE stuff will work.

- Paul Hoffmann

• 14. Re: DOS OS deployment tool cannot map drive to image server
                                    ahe Expert

Hello Larry,

which os you use for your PXE and your core?

Do you use a special letter like "," or ":" or ";" in your password?

Regards

Axel

1 2 Previous Next