3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2009 3:10 PM by jan.buelens

Lenovo S10 / M58 and WINPE

We have some new Lenovo S10 ThinkStation and M58 ThinkCentre machines and we can not get the right Disk Drivers to insert into the OS Deployment drivers.

I've downloaded the what I thought are the right drivers from the Lenovo site, but they do not include the TXTSETUP.OEM file, so can not input them into the OS Deployment drivers.  All I can find is the CAT and INF files.  Am I missing something?

Is someone able to help?

• 1. Re: Lenovo S10 / M58 and WINPE
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

Most Lenovo's have the possibility (in the BIOS) to use a Legacy/Compatibility mode for the storage controller.

That would be probably the FAR eaasier route to go through, rather than hoping to find a driver that works (in my experience, it causes a lot less pain).

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• 2. Re: Lenovo S10 / M58 and WINPE

I had the exact same problem, I just injected the driver located on C:\SWTOOLS\DRIVERS\RAID\intel on the computers hard drive and now

it dedects the hard drive.

• 3. Re: Lenovo S10 / M58 and WINPE

Curious... I had a look at the drivers on Lenovo's website for these 2 machines and I had no trouble finding txtsetup.oem. Perhaps you were confused by the double wrapping? When you run the self-extracting exe downloaded from the Lenovo site, what you get is just more wrapping. A setup /? tells you how to undo the 2nd layer of wrapping, after which all will be revealed including a txtsetup.oem.

Failing that, you could have taken the driver directly from the intel site. From what I've seen, Lenovo, Dell, HP and probably many others use intel SATA chipsets and the driver is always the same. The PC manufacturers simply pass through the original intel driver with no customisations (except a new wrapper for licensing reasons). The only variation is in the version of the intel driver. For support reasons, the driver that you want to deploy to your Lenovo machines is probably the version that Lenovo recommends. But in the case of WinPE, what you want is a driver that works on as many machines as possible.

Therefore, my recommendation is to always use intel's latest driver. Download "matrix storage manager" (that's what intel calls their driver). Inject the driver into your WinPE image and chances are it will work on all your SATA desktops and laptops. There is no point in downloading each manufacturer's SATA driver for each model because in reality, these drivers are not manufacturer or model specific. One driver fits all.

As you may be aware (see http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-1157), importing a SATA driver using the console GUI is not as straightforward as it may seem. You need to be aware of hardware IDs and customise one of the driver files (txtsetup.oem) to reflect the relevant hardware ID. If you have multiple hardware IDs, you'll need to import the same driver multiple times, each time with a different txtsetup.oem. The attached document describes an alternative approach that makes it a lot easier to build a generic SATA-ready WinPE image. The recipe is basically as follows:

1. download driver http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=17412
              2. create folder on your core server, e.g. c:\intelsata
              3. unpack driver: iata88enu.exe -a -p c:\intelsata
              4. wpeaddmsd /inf=c:\intelsata\winall\driver\iaahci.inf

This is the same approach as described earlier in http://community.landesk.com/support/message/1378, except that there is a little program called wpeaddmsd (compiled autoit script - source included) that does all the work for you.