5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2009 2:31 AM by phoffmann

Software distribution

Rookie

Hi Guys

I am trying to distribute a software pakage ( 7-ZIP.exe ) to remote offices on the WAN. They do not logon to the domain, but a workgroup. If I use the policy delivery method, I get this : It goes to pending : status : waiting : result : policy has been made available - Then it stays in pending.

If I use the push delivery method, it failes with error : Cannot not request exclusive semaphores at interrupt time.

Any ideas?

Johan

• 1. Re: Software distribution
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

Would I be correct in guessing that you use a UNC share?

We usually get this "Cannot not request exclusive semaphores..."-error if the Local System account doesn't have permissions to the share.

Solution - use an HTTP share (in your scenario).

Normally I'd say "add Domain Computers" to the UNC-share to have access (since that's how Local System would work), but since the clients in question aren't part of your domain, you're kinda stuffed on that account too.

Use HTTP, and that way you should be fine without any problems of the authentication type nature (ideally, though - you do want to get those remote devices into the domain, but I guess there's reasons for why they're not already) .

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• 2. Re: Software distribution
            Rookie

Paul

We cannot use HTTP, as the remote offices are not allowed to access internet on their local PCs. I just tried to push with low bandwith and the failure was  : failed to download all additional files for a pakage. I will check the console log to see if there are any more info. Can we use multicast?

• 3. Re: Software distribution

... they sure like to make your life complicated, huh?

Hmm ... well - multicast is ONE option, albeit not ideal (since it relies on devices being up)

... you can use Preferred servers to configure access credentials to your share, that would work as well, actually (wouldn't matter if you only have "the one" preferred server - you can still provide it the creds to access the share).

Paul Hoffmann

• 4. Re: Software distribution
                Rookie

Thanks Paul

Unfortunately I do not have enough admin rights on Landesk to check the share. I will contact the guy that did the setup to help me. Will come back to you if I has any more problems.

Johan

• 5. Re: Software distribution

In theory you don't need admin rights on it (though it'd hardly hurt).

What you ideally want to do is to add a "service account" (an account who can't log into Windows, but can be used for services and authentication to shares - and whose password doesn't change) to the permissions to the share. That way you'll be making your life easier going forward.

For a "quick test" you can use "any user" that has access to the share (even your own).

NOTE -- just a reminder, you can ONLY configure Preferred Package Servers on the Core's Console itself (this is intentional).

Paul Hoffmann