4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2009 9:32 AM by phoffmann

LDMS Agent config : only hardware scan

Cedric FRANCOIS Apprentice

Hello,

I'd like to make a very lightagent configuration for administrators workstation : no remote control, etc. and no software scan only a an hardware scan once a week.

I just want admin to able to get software portal and a hardware scan.

How can i do, i don't manage to force only Hardware ...

• 1. Re: LDMS Agent config : only hardware scan
          zman Master

The inventory scan switch for hardware only is /F- .  Might be easier to run a post config job to make all the changes.  Turn off all inventory scanning in the Agent config, and have a post config job setup local scheduled task for the inventory scanner with the /F-

However, there are a lot of limitations doing this setting. I believe that if you have any custom registry keys you are scanning for they will not be scanned, patches, software, etc...  will not be in the Inventory. Not sure what the benefit will be to doing only hardware scans.

• 2. Re: LDMS Agent config : only hardware scan
            phoffmann SupportEmployee

Correct, Zman - Custom Data is (as far as the inventory scanner is concerned) part of the Software scan section.

So - have a look at what you want.

=========

Option 2 - if you ONLY want network information and such to update (I'm not sure why you'd want such minimal information, so I'm having to make some guesses here), you can also just run MINSICAN.EXE (which sends about 5 lines of inventory).

=========

If you're "not sure" what you get in your scan-file, you can always add a "/O=outputfile" as a command line option.

So adding a "/O=c:\output.txt" will write out the scan-file to C:\ and call it "output.txt".

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• 3. Re: LDMS Agent config : only hardware scan
              Cedric FRANCOIS Apprentice

Hello,

I know how to make only a hardware scan from the shortcut ... but i want to configure an LDSM agent that makes it by default, i try to edit the Windows Configuration.ini file but i don't manage to change it.

About the reason : administrators : got some applications on our computers (not installed) for evaluation or admin ones that we don't want to put in inventory in order to make it as light as we can ...

Regards

• 4. Re: LDMS Agent config : only hardware scan
                phoffmann SupportEmployee

You can't make it "not do" a software scan by default - that sort of customisation is not possible through the UI.

You'd either need to go in and hack the MSI or (the easier solution) use a post-install policy which runs on those devices and changes the shortcuts for you to add/change the shortcuts as you need them to be.

This is a pretty rare scenario - if you see yourself doing this more commonly in the future, you may want to consider logging an enhancement request for this sort of change, to be able to customize the inventory scanner's command-line more.

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead