4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2009 2:24 AM by phoffmann

Query to detect IExplorer version

Rookie

Hi all,

I have an environment with IE 6 and IE 7 both installed. Now I need to upgrade all machines to IE 7, but I cant find a decent query that tells me what machines do have IE6 but not IE 7 installed. I have tried several ways, but did not come up with a good method, can anybody give me some good hints?

• 1. Re: Query to detect IExplorer version
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

I may be getting hung up on a red herring, but I can't help but find this a bit confusing:

""

...do have IE6 but not IE 7 installed.

""

... you have clients that have IE6 *and* IE7 installed ...? How's that work?

(Not saying it can't be done - it's just I've never heard of it)

The first thought that comes to my mind is to do a simple LDMS-query:

""

COMPUTER.CUSTOM DATA.INTERNET EXPLORER.VERSION -- exists

""

and

then add a column of the same (COMPUTER.CUSTOM DATA.INTERNET EXPLORER.VERSION) - so you can easily see/sort your devices by version 6.X , 7.X and even 8.X if you prefer.

(Yes, you can modify the queries to only show 6.X or 7.X, but I figured you'd probably have an easier time to begin with just having all the data in one spot).

Respectively, if this doesn't work for you, why does it not work / what "weird results" do you get?

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• 2. Re: Query to detect IExplorer version

NOTE - even though it's branded "custom data", Internet Explorer information is something that we collect by default.

Paul Hoffmann

• 3. Re: Query to detect IExplorer version
              Rookie

Thanks!!

I started looking at my own machine (IE7) installed and found a nice key:

Software>Application Suites>Application Suite>Windows Internet Explorer 7

So i was fooling around with queries but as my PC did an upgrade from IE6 to IE7, my PC showed up in queries for IE6 and IE7, other machines that had IE 7 did not have the key I mentioned above........In short, I was running around in circles.

But you showed me the right path: CUSTOM DATA

Not required, but just a nice to know for more queries.... When do I use custom and when do I use Applications suites?

• 4. Re: Query to detect IExplorer version

Well - that's a sort of "how long is a piece of string" question, to which the answer is always "it depends".

Not knowing your DB, I cannot tell if there was (maybe) something wrong with the way you queried in Application Software Suites - it's possible. The Query tool is one of those "deceptively simple" tools (it tries to do rather complicated stuff, yet make it look simple - no matter how one tries to do that, there's always going to be some things which *ARE* complicated).

So your query may work EXACTLY the way you told it to work (for instance), except for the detail that "what you told it to do" is different to "what you meant it to do".

There's a few ways that things can go "wrong" (in terms of - it not doing what you want it to), yet being "correct" (in terms of - it does logically what it's been told to do) because of this "trying to do something complex and presenting it as simple".

So, it really depends on the particular question you're trying to answer at the time, really - and various factors do come in, like the state of the DB, state of inventory scans, etc. etc. - so it's really not something that has a "yes or no" answer .

Paul Hoffmann