7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 9, 2009 2:00 AM by phoffmann

Error filling in custom data from

Employee

Dear All,

I created a custom data form and have scheduled it to run on a client machine, the scheduled task returned successfully.

However, when I try to launch the custom data from at the client machine to fill the form, I've got the following error,

"The path to the form definition files is either invalid or currently unavailable"

What could have done wrong?

Many thanks.

Winnie

• 1. Re: Error filling in custom data from
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

So - if you're calling up custom data forms, we try to call "C:\Program Files\LANDesk\LDClient\LDCSTM32.EXE" - does that file exist?

And - if it does - did the .FRM file actually make it down to the client (the .FRM file is the template file)? If it did, you may want to run FILEMON (and make sure you're not getting an obscure file access denied error - I've seen the strangest things happen with NTFS for no apparent reason).

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• 2. Re: Error filling in custom data from
            Employee

Hi Paul,

Yes, "C:\Program Files\LANDesk\LDClient\LDCSTM32.EXE" does exist

I search for *.frm at the client machine but without match.

Where can I get filemon? Can I just simply copy the LDCSTM.INI and FRM to the target computer directly?

Thanks and regards,

Winnie

• 3. Re: Error filling in custom data from
              Employee

That's the error I found at the event log of the agent machine,

The description for Event ID ( 1 ) in Source ( LANDesk Custom Data Forms ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: \\AVOLANDESK2\ldlogon\*.frm.

AVOLANDESK is my core server name and there is no .frm file in the path

• 4. Re: Error filling in custom data from
                Employee

Hi Paul,

I just created another new form and send the form again.....

It now works with both new and old form available at the client side.

Though not sure what have been changed.... thanks.

Winnie

• 5. Re: Error filling in custom data from

For future reference - FILEMON is a Sysinternals tool - you can get FILEMON (and REGMON) - or in fact "PROCMON" which monitors entire processes) - from www.microsoft.com (the tools are free).

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Error filling in custom data from
                    Employee

I think I have found out the reason for the problem.

If I map a network drive to the \\coreserver\ldlogon\ manually at the client machine, it is able to receive the form. If not, seems it does not get the right to access the form at the share? Both the core server and agent machines are standalone without domain. Guess the ldlogon is not a null share by default?

Winnie

• 7. Re: Error filling in custom data from

Of course it isn't - we try not to tear open a Core Server just for the sake of it being a Core, without security. And on a 2003 Server there's a fair few local policy changes that need to be done in order for things such as null-session shares to even be possible (read the deployment guide, about preparing a 2003 server).

If you do not use a domain, this is the sort of thing that will happen - I would recommend that even your test environment should be running in a domain.

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead.