5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2009 6:50 PM by zman

Launchpad: "This machine does not have administrator rights"

Rookie

Hello,

I am on a learning curve with this awesome new software we purchased for our campus. I've gotten pretty far, but am now stuck...

Its an exe launchpad link for Office 2007. When clicked on via the launchpad, on an end users computer without admin rights, it states "You do not have administrator rights to install this package"

Could anyone please assist me with this matter? All help is greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Launchpad: "This machine does not have administrator rights"
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

You may want to provide more information here.

Is Office 2007 actually installed on the box, or is Launchpad pointing to the Install? Or are you even using a Thinstalled version Office? How exactly is everything done?

What sort of users are you using this in (does it work for a local-admin user, for instance?)

Generally, more information here will be helpful - I would guess that something related user-permissions is throwing a spanner in your works here, but in order to find out more, we'd need more information (and even so, potentially it's a support ticket).

I'm not (yet) aware of Office 2007 doing anything overly complicated (or horrible) in regards to user rights, but that's not worth much in regards to assuring that there won't be (well - I'm erring on the side of caution too) .

Paul hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead.

• 2. Re: Launchpad: "This machine does not have administrator rights"
            Rookie

It works for local admins, but not standard users, which makes sense. I though there was a way to install programs with a predefined admin user.

By the way, this is pointing to a share that all have access to, which contains the installer there that was admin'd (standard.msp).

Thanks for your quick reply!

• 3. Re: Launchpad: "This machine does not have administrator rights"
              phoffmann SupportEmployee

"Sort of" - is the short answer.

LANDesk's Software Distribution side checks if the logged-on user has got local admin rights first of all. If they do not, we elevate ourselves to LOCAL SYSTEM (which - important to note- is *NOT* entirely equivalent to  "local administrator" accounts). Some packages have problems getting installed as Local System.

You can test how your package is behaving under Local System (manually) as documented in this article:

http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-2316

That should help you a little.

(I'm personally a bit surprised to include Office as part of Launchpad - I'd have thought that "grunty" and common packages like that would be just part of your PC's but then you have the whole licensing thing to deal with, so I guess it can be argued both ways ... hmm. Well - this should help you to get your install-story working (better), i think .

it may be potentially worth while detailing exactly HOW and what to you're pointing the whole Launchpad thing ... I'm wondering whether (out of an unfortunate configuration mishap) what ends up happening is that the office install tries to run in user context.

See what user is trying to run MSIEXEC potentially in TASKMON?

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Launchpad: "This machine does not have administrator rights"
                Rookie

Thank you guys so much for all your help and steering me in the right direction. All of you are great!

• 5. Re: Launchpad: "This machine does not have administrator rights"
                  zman Master

Actually I think the way 8.8 works is it does not check to see if the user is a local admin anymore. In distribution packages you have two options (LocalSystem and User). If you chose LocalSystem it ALWAYS uses local system account regardless, and if you chose user it always uses the current user.