3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 14, 2009 1:41 AM by Dthompkins

Scan inventory for a specific extension

Apprentice

Hi folks, I am trying to scan for a specific extension (*.ipd).  I have followed the instructions here http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-2169 and also tried to set it up as a vulnerability.  The porblem is I only want to search for extension.  The file name (it is a BlackBerry backup file)  is random, by date.  The file name could be anything.  I've also tried some vbScript and searching for files recursively is a bit time consuming and cloddy.  Any thoughts? TIA & Best regards, Rich

• 1. Re: Scan inventory for a specific extension
          Apprentice

Rich --

Technically all you should have to do is change the ldappl3.template file as shown in the doc:

The ScanExtensions section of the ldappl3 file is limited to 18 entries (I think it's 18), so if you have more than that it'll only work on the first 18 in the list.

How are you querying for files of the .ipd extension in the LANDesk console to confirm that it is in fact not working?  Are you sure you're systems are getting the updated LDAPPL3?  After making the change to the template, you must go to the SLM pane and hit the make available to clients button -- unless you do that the updates you made to the template will never be incorporated to a new ldappl3.ini file~

• 2. Re: Scan inventory for a specific extension
            Apprentice

Hi David, "How are you querying for files of the .ipd extension in the LANDesk console to confirm that it is in fact not working? " I guess that's probably the issue.  By just adding the ipd extension to ldappl3, I dont see it anywhere, but perhaps I'm not looking in the correct area.  But if I add a given name of a known IPD extension (e.g, I use test.ipd) and then added it to SLM, I was able to just go into "Software/Packages" in inventory and find the file.  But, in SLM, Inventory, Files, To Be scanned, I located my ipd entry and right click and choose "Where Installed" and it comes up empty. Suggestions?

• 3. Re: Scan inventory for a specific extension
              Apprentice

Rich --

If you run queries against the COMPUTER.SOFTWARE.PACKAGE.File Name you should be able to find all of the files you're looking for.  I've attached a screen shot for you:

This can be accomplished with SLM as well, however to give you more advisement on how to go about doing it in SLM (as well as whether its practical) I need a bit more information.  I hope this helps~

-----

EDIT:

It would have helped to read your last post slowly (sorry!).  SLM is really intended to be able to give you details on installations of a specific application, which in the way you're currently applying it would mean that you would have to specify which IPD files you're wanting to track.  If you create a product in SLM and added the .ipd files you wanted to track to it, you could then see which machines had one (or all) of the files in SLM.  Alternatively, the method you tried (i.e. right clicking and selecting where installed) should work, but it may not have when you tried it because SLM hadn't fully updated yet.   If you are only looking to find a specific IPD file and its location, you can do so via a LANDesk query by searching for the file name in the query and having the column set display the file path.  It should automatically set the qualifier for the path without any work on your side.  Beware though -- if the IPD file you are searching for is on a system more than once it will appear multiple times in the query results, though I suspect that would be what you want.