2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 2, 2012 5:14 AM by Markus.Zierer

Returncodes in NIRS32_XXX.LOG

Thomas.Liebald Rookie
      Hi,

we're using Netinstall 5.85 and have to document the installation status of our NetInstall packages.
      I found in the NIRS32_XXX.LOG-files, that in the last line a returncode is written.
      Now my questions:
      1. is it right that a returncode of 0 means that the package was installed successfully?

2. Is the a List with the other codes returned (e.g. returncode 8)?

Best regards
      T. Liebald
        • 1. Re: Returncodes in NIRS32_XXX.LOG
          Frank.Scholer Master
          Hi Thomas,

the NIRS32-Log is the logfile from the so-called "Run Script"-Installer (thus the "RS"-part in the name) and is created if you trigger an immediate-installation from inside the NetInstall-Manager...

Typically you would have to look for NIAI32_#.LOG (from the "Auto-Installer") or NISRV32_#.LOG (the Service-Installers logs)....

But to answer your questions:
          1. A returncode of 0 means that everything went well and that no errors have occurred during the installer-run. Typically that means also, that the package's script was executed without any errors and that the package was installed succesfully (from the NetInstall "perspective", which could be something different than the applicaton's "perspective"!)

2. I don't have such a list (and I'm working with NI for 15 years meanwhile). If an error occurs (and you would see that in Extended Reporting for example) you'll have to dig into the appropriate log and then find what went wrong...

HTH, regards Frank
          • 2. Re: Returncodes in NIRS32_XXX.LOG
            Markus.Zierer Expert
            Well, as far as i can remember, you can query the installation status for each package from SQL Database. This is possible, because Extended Reporting writes this status information into the SQL Database. If you never clean up your SQL Database, you should be able to run SQL Queries to determine the installation status of your packages. The EXR Console gives you only a very basic "report". But this is OK, because it never was intended to be used that way.

But this is not an easy task. It is possible to realize, but you need a developer with very good SQL skill to build an solution for that.