3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2009 5:18 AM by phoffmann

Not able to distribute msi packages

Rookie

Hi All,

I have installed LANDesk Management Suite 8.8, after adding the msi packages, scheduling the tasks with Delivery Method "Policy-->User Controlled Installation" and running the task, the status is displayed as "Waiting, Policy has been made available" and on selecting the My Tasks section the status is displayed as "Available for Download". How should I verify if it is available for download?

Any help in this regards is much appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,

Krissh

• 1. Re: Not able to distribute msi packages
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

... you could run policy on the client.

It sounds like this is an education issue. A policy is a PULL based approach (the Core prepares stuff, and waits for the client to check for policies). ONLY when the client checks for policies will this kick in.

If you just want to test the deployment of the MSI, use a PUSH delivery method (this will then actively be pushed from the Core to the Client).

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• 2. Re: Not able to distribute msi packages
            Rookie

Hi,

Thanks for your input, it had a great imporvement when I tried it with deilvery method "Push", but while downloading it fails with the status "Multicast completed with 1 representatives reporting failure" and Reason "Could not find subnet representative"

Can you please guide me on how to go about this.

Thanks in Advance,
            Krissh

• 3. Re: Not able to distribute msi packages
              phoffmann SupportEmployee

If it cannot find an MDR (Multicast Domain Representative), this is usually due to switches blocking ports.

There's 2 mechanisms for discovering MDR's:

1 - If you have a statically configured MDR:

================================

We do a straight TCP connection, to check "are you there? Are you alive". This is usually more switch friendly for obvious reasons.

2 - If you DON'T have a statically configured MDR:

=====================================

In this scenario we need to dynamically determine an MDR. We do this via a UDP ping sweep (and the first device to come back will be the MDR).

Normally what happens if this is the case is one of two things:

Option A - your switch/router is blocking the UDP traffic

Option B - Your switch/router (or even OS) is badly configured for the use of IGMP.

OS's need to be set to the correct version of IGMP. You can find information on this here --

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;815752&Product=winxp

IGMP should be ideally set to version 3.

The "other fun part" is how switches/routers react to IGMP. For instance, if you were to use 3COM switches, then you need to make sure that one switch/router per site is configured to have "IGMP Query Mode" enabled. This sort of thing is pretty vendor specific, so you may need to check with your network gear manufacturer for details.

This should help you along a bit .

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead