5 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2013 4:06 AM by airrun

Lenovo T420 computer can not boot from DSM 7 via PXE

airrun Rookie
      we deploy DSM 7 in our environment, but we have a new client computer that model is Lenovo T420, the computer can not boot from DSM 7 via PXE after we configure everthing well in DSM 7 console,
      we open "New computer and User" group, we can not see MAC address owned by the T420 computer,
      we boot computer from NIC Network, then we see the computer acquire an IP address from DHCP, then Exiting Intel Boot Agent, come back to boot choice again,
      we don't know why, we think dsm 7 have not send a correct "PXE Boot Menu" to the computer, it cause the computer to exit boot from PXE, but we had set correct MAC address for the computer in DSM 7 Console,

we think DSM 7 can not recognise the computer's MAC address will cause failure of installing,

we don't know why? can you give us some guide?

Thanks
        • 1. Re: Lenovo T420 computer can not boot from DSM 7 via PXE
          derniwi Master
          Hi,

I have T410 and T430 booting from PXE, so the T420 should also do.
          Do you get the message that the enteo boot loader decided there is nothing to do?

Or what is the explicit message you see? You can stop at boot time by pressing Fn + Pause (or Stop or something like this... I have not american keyboard here).

Did you add a network driver for the T420 to DSM? And did you add this driver to the boot image?

Regards
          Nils
          • 2. Re: Lenovo T420 computer can not boot from DSM 7 via PXE
            airrun Rookie
            sorry, I send it twice, so I delete one
            • 3. Re: Lenovo T420 computer can not boot from DSM 7 via PXE
              airrun Rookie
              Hi, we have three T420 computers, just the third computer can not boot from DSM 7, I think the problem computer may can not register his computer information in DSM 7, so it caused the computer can not boot from DSM 7,
              and the computer is newest, we just receive it from Lenovo, and it is ok when I boot the computer from other PXE boot program, so the computer is ok,

after I press F12 to choose boot from "PCI LAN: IBA GE Slot 00C8  V1366",
              computer will acquire an IP address from DHCP,
              then Auto-Select:
                                    Local Boot
                    PXE-M0F:Exiting Intel Boot Agent
              then back to choice boot screen again,

I analyze broadcast package using WireShark, find the DSM7 server do not send a correct "PXE Boot Menu" to the computer,
              so I think may DSM 7 server have some problem?
              but we had set up everything well in DSM 7 console for the computer,

I do not know why?
              • 4. Re: Lenovo T420 computer can not boot from DSM 7 via PXE
                _Mel_ Master
                Auto-Select:
                Local Boot

is a boot menu with one entry ("Local Boot") and no wait time.
                the pxe service sends this because the computer is marked as inactive.
                if you look into the osd\osdpxepool logfile there should be a line with the id of the computer (at least if you have set the loglevel to a high enough detaillevel)
                • 5. Re: Lenovo T420 computer can not boot from DSM 7 via PXE
                  airrun Rookie
                  hello, now, the computer work well booting from DSM 7, I don't konw why,
                  someone may change some settings to make it back normal, but I don't  konw, Thanks for your kindly reply