6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2015 12:24 PM by Catalysttgj

startasuser.exe tool

Rookie

Hi,

I'm using the startasuser.exe tool to run commands on remote machines in logged on user context. It looks like this tool depends on explorer.exe process to start the given application in user context. If there are more than one explorer.exe running with different users startasuser.exe is still able to run commands in logged on user context remotely. When I kill the explorer.exe and try to open a application (notepad) remotely, its not working. I'm not able to remotely start explorer.exe as well. Can someone explain how exactly startasuser.exe tools works here?

I already raised it in etc -> customer support, not sure which is right place for discussing this..

Thanks,

Prakash

• 1. Re: startasuser.exe tool
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

NOTE - please refrain from double posting. It really doesn't serve any good purpose.

I'm deleting the thread in customer support, since for customer support, you can open up a support ticket, but this is not really at a stage ready for a support ticket (since it's far from clear what and why something's being done/attempted).

========

========

In order to advance this one a little bit ... *why* are you killing EXPLORER.EXE exactly? Any logged in Windows OS is going ot have at least one EXPLORER.EXE running ... if you could explain:

- WHAT you're trying to achieve

- WHY you're trying to achieve it (context is everything)

- WHY killing off EXPLORER.EXE has anything to do with this...

... we can see if we can help. At the moment, I'm not sure what the purpose of this is supposed to be.

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• 2. Re: startasuser.exe tool
            Rookie

Here, I wanted to know how exactly the startasuser.exe tools works and if it has any dependency on explorer.exe. I wanted to know details about this tools as i wanted to analyse the downsides of using this in our environment. I cannot analyse unless I know how it works..

Regarding killing the explorer.exe, we had a requirement of pushing a IE7 related setting to users which requires restart of machine alternatively we can kill explorer.exe and recreate it in user context for the IE7 setting to take effect. This is just one instance of my testing with this tool. Main goal is to know the logic of how this tools works and dependencies so that can analyse how far we can use this tool in our environment..

Let me knwo if need any more clarification. Thanks!

• 3. Re: startasuser.exe tool
              zman Master

So many programs rely on the user shell, and just my opinion killing explorer and restarting explorer to avoid a reboot is very risky. Plus if the changes require any pending file actions it will not work. If you want to see what it relys on you could always run dependency walker on startasuser.

• 4. Re: startasuser.exe tool
                Rookie

Dependency walker was not of much help here. I could'nt makeout anything out the results its giving. If someone could give a brief explanation on how this tools works it would be great.

• 6. Re: startasuser.exe tool
                  Catalysttgj Expert

It is very dumb to get an "unauthorized" message that states this: "Access to this place or content is restricted. If you think this is a mistake, please contact your administrator or the person who directed you here."

when i try to click the link that was provided for startasuser. DOC-1575.

Very very very ANNOYING!!