14 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2009 2:19 PM by gnalneb

Distributing a batch file outside of the local network

Rookie

Hello,

I have two registry Key's that I need to be able to import on remote machines that are outside of our network and not on our domain, but are managed by our core server.

Our configuration is that we have a core server inside the corporate network and are running the remote management gateway. We have 900 or so laptops that we distributed to properties which we own throughout the country for sales professionals. These laptops are configured to check in with the gateway appliance, this is working for remote control. (Thus far that is all we have used it for, to let the IT admins at our local properties control the machines they have been given and take it off of our hands at the main corporate office)

I have built a batch file and this is will work to alter the registry and I can push it out to machines within the local network.

For kicks and grins I tried to do a normal multicast to a test client on the outside and got this message:  "No status was received. The Client may be cut off or multicast may not be installed"

When we bought LANDesk we were told that we would be able to use it for software distribution and patch distribution to these clients that are outside of the corporate network, but I have yet to figure out how to configure LANDesk to do this.

Thanks very much.

BEN LANG

• 1. Re: Distributing a batch file outside of the local network
          Jason SupportEmployee

Ben,

Everything on the gateway has to be initiated by the client so that means using policies for software dist jobs.You need to set the delivery method for the schedule task to use  a policy delivery method.This will make the software package(in this case your batch file) available so when the client checks into the core via the gateway it will the "pull" this software down.

Jason

• 2. Re: Distributing a batch file outside of the local network
            Rookie

Thanks Jason,

Unfortuantely when I open up the software deployment portal on my test clients on the outside of the network i get a HTTP 404 error...is this an issue with teh agent or an issue with the agent being on the outside of the network?

Thanks again.

Ben

• 3. Re: Distributing a batch file outside of the local network
              Jason SupportEmployee

That is usually an issue with the agent. What version of LDMS are you running? What is the version is the policy.sync.exe on the client that threw the 404 error? Is the LANDesk Policy Invoker service listed and running in services on that client?

Jason

• 4. Re: Distributing a batch file outside of the local network
                Rookie

We're on 8.8 SP2a

the policy.sync.exe version is 8.80.2.4

And no, the service isn't list under the services mmc on the client. The only LanDesk services I see are the LanDesk Management Agent, the software monitoring service, targeted multicast service, and the remote control service.

I had assumed the software monitoring service was what runs this whole shebang.

Ben

• 5. Re: Distributing a batch file outside of the local network
                  SupportEmployee

Sounds like this agent is not "happy". When you open the policy web portal and you get the 404 error thats a problem. This is a local web service, its not going back to the core for anything to display the web page there. Likewise the lack of the policy invoker service is also a problem. On this guy it may be a good idea to reinstall the agent and run brokerconfig to get the broker cert.

If this is occuring on multiple systems then we need to look at the same questions that Jason asked. In addition, make sure the machines are working correctly through the gateway. A good test is to run a vulscan or an inventory scan when the machines are off network to ensure that they are communicating correctly through the gateway. If those tests are unsuccessful then you'll need to troulbe shoot that.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Distributing a batch file outside of the local network
                    Jason SupportEmployee

Ben,

As Gerald stated there is an issue with this/these clients if they are missing the invoker service. At this time you will need to reinstall your agent(s). On a side note I would make sure that you have the following Client patches applied before doing so in order to help avoid other potential issues.

Patch NameDescriptionLink
                    CLN-2427088.2-2changes how wscfg32.exe is launched to remove the handle inheritance issuesDownload
                    AV-2274688.2-2Updated Antivirus Engine Version .95 This patch improves Kido/Conficker/Downadup cleaning and contains performance improvements. This is also a rollup of all prior AV fixesDownload
                    CLN-977388.2-2Unable to install the Agent if an existing LANDesk Agent is install on the clientDownload
                    CLN-1851188.2Self-contained agent may not build correctly when Anti Virus component is selectedDownload
                    CLN-2348588.2When the advance agent installs on a fresh W2k machine CBAcleanup.exe error because msvcr80.dll is not foundDownload

You can find them here http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-5594

If you are not using LANDesk AV you can skip the one labled AV-.

Also as an FYI all of these patch should be in SP3 which is schedule for release in May if you would rather wait for a Service pack instead of applying these hotfixes.

• 7. Re: Distributing a batch file outside of the local network
                      Employee

If you are getting a 404 error when opening the portal do the following.

browse to the following location.

C:\Program Files\LANDesk\Shared Files\cbaroot

copy the file "policy.vroot" from a working machine to that system.  Or you can grab the file from ldlogon on your core server.

• 8. Re: Distributing a batch file outside of the local network
                        Rookie

Hey everyone,

Thanks for all you help, I've got my software deployment portal working again on my clients, and now it's time for the next hurdle.

On deployment for the batch file and the two reg keys I get a Failed deployment. On the console it returns "Insufficient bandwidth available"

My delivery method is "Always listed for installation" - do I need to create a new delivery method for this type of deployment (i.e. using the remote management gateway)?

Or could it be something with where my package is stored? (it's currently at http://ldms.medianewsgroup.com/ldpackages/TrendAV/ - which I have confirmed is accessible on the outside world)

BEN

• 9. Re: Distributing a batch file outside of the local network
                          SupportEmployee

Do you have "Require a non-RAS Network Connection" option found under the Delivery Method>"MethodName">Network Usage>Bandwidth selected (it is by default on this particular delivery method). If so you may want to uncheck it. 

• 10. Re: Distributing a batch file outside of the local network
                            Rookie

I created a new delivery method that does not have the "Require a non-RAS Network Connection"  check-box checked. And the Depolyment seems to have worked...at least the results I expected seem to have happenend.

However, in the Console, the status is showing as failed - "Incorrect Function" ...is this an issue?

Thanks!

• 11. Re: Distributing a batch file outside of the local network
                              SupportEmployee

This is probably because you are returning an error level other than zero for success in the batch file. LANDesk doesn't understand other values.

Here is a good article on how to set the error level correctly (see starting on page 18):

http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-2320

• 12. Re: Distributing a batch file outside of the local network
                                Rookie

Gerald, you were right, that Document was a huge help.

So here's the final step and I'm off to the races.

Can anyone tell me what the agent behavior is durring a policy based isntallation using the required installation distribution method?

Does the remote agent check in peridically and get the policy? or does the user have to initiate the install using the software deployment portal?

Thanks!

• 13. Re: Distributing a batch file outside of the local network
                                  SupportEmployee

This depends on how you set up the agent. When the agent is configured it sets up a local scheduler task that setup how often policy sync runs. A fairly common configuration is to have this set up for one hour.

You can check yours by opening a command window and running C:\Program Files\LANDesk\LDClient\LocalSch.EXE /tasks | more

Here is example of what you are looking for:

C:\Program Files\LANDesk\LDClient>LocalSch.EXE /tasks | more
                                  Local Task Listing...
                                    1: C:\Program Files\LANDesk\LDClient\policy.sync.exe
                                       handle    : 600
                                       start     : Thu Apr 23 16:15:16 2009
                                       frequency : 86400
                                       Filter 1  : [Auto delay] State=(Not ready) Min=(0) Max=(60)

You will note that the frequency is 86400 seconds which equals 1 day. So, in this example policy sync will check in with the core daily.

• 14. Re: Distributing a batch file outside of the local network
                                    Rookie

I think I have it figured out now.

Thanks to everyone who was so helpful, I really appreciate everyone's answers.

Ben