6 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2009 2:02 PM by aparker

Filter one category using another category

Apprentice

In our asset tracking I have created a category for Manufacturer and a category for Model. On the asset window I would like the user to be able to select a Manufacturer, then once that selection is made have the Model category filter down to only those Models that relate to the selected Manufacturer. What course shouold I take to accomplish this?

Thanks for suggestions!

• 1. Re: Filter one category using another category
          LegoGuy SupportEmployee

In object designer you'll want to relate category to category.  When it asks if you want to create a collection say NO.

Next in window manager you'll want to add that new attribute to the window. 

Next edit the categories and set the new category attribute correctly.  Ie make sure each one of the models has the correct manufacturer shown in the new category attribute.

Finally you'll want to setup a filter on that object.  You can read this document for more info on setting up object filters.

http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-2745

• 2. Re: Filter one category using another category
            Apprentice

Hi Sara,

Would it be possible to chat for a couple of minutes?  We are just starting to use Service Desk for Asset/Configuration Management and I have some questions on your experiences.

Thank you,

Chris

• 3. Re: Filter one category using another category
              Apprentice

Well, I thought I had done it correctly. Here is what I have-

Manufacturer category

Cisco

HP

Model category

laptop, Category window drop-down for Manufacturer has HP selected

Switch, Category window drop-down for Manufacturer has Cisco selected

In object designer, model object I created a filter. The criteria of the filter reads "Manufacturer Is Equal To (_ManufacturerCategory). I've also tried (_ModelCategory/_ManufacturerCategory).

But when I go to my Asset window and select either Cisco or HP as the manufacturer I still get all the entries in the Model category.

What have I missed?

Thanks.

• 4. Re: Filter one category using another category
                aparker Employee

Hi Sara,

I know I'm coming in on this one a little late in the discussion, but why are you trying to have two category trees? My initial reaction to reading this that you position the top level of a single category tree as the manufacturer and then hold the rest of the details in layers below. It's only one tree and as a result much less maintenance.

Andy

• 5. Re: Filter one category using another category
                  Apprentice

That is an excelent observation, and to save my life I can't remember why I took the road I did. I think it was to keep the way the SQL tables are build compatible with moving to another database if necessary.

This is a mock-up at this point, we'll be looking at all the options before coming up with a final design.

As far as it's working correctly, I went back to the last backup and tried it again, on the second time around it worked as expected.

• 6. Re: Filter one category using another category
                    aparker Employee

Mmmm! My motto is 'If in doubt iisreset!'