1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 30, 2009 3:43 PM by MarXtar

Management Gateway is used only for LDMS / LDSS related functions?

Employee

I approgize for asking such a stupid question, but this has been on my mind for some times already.

Does Management Gateway allows only LANDesk communication functions? That is, can I use it for communication of other applications in the company? For example, can I use management gateway to access a file server in the corporate network (not LANDesk core server or console) to download files from an Internet client? i.e. can I use MG as a "general purpose "SSL VPN? From the management gateway brochure, it always talk about LANDesk functions only.

Also, what is the encryption used? I find it can be 64 or 128 bits in the document, but what kind of encryption is it?

Thanks and regards,

Winnie

• 1. Re: Management Gateway is used only for LDMS / LDSS related functions?
          MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

It is only for LANDesk functions. Regarding encryption:

Problems/Symptoms:

The Landesk Management Gateway supports 64 bit and 128 bit encryption. This is dependant on the Landesk Agent that is installed on the system making a connection request. If the Landesk Agent is a domestic (U.S.) agent it will negotiate it's encryption level at 128 bit.

If the Landesk Agent installed is from a country that does not allow 128 bit encryption it will negotiate 64 bit encryption with the Landesk Management Gateway.

The Management Gateway is designed to look at the Landesk Agent requesting a connection; if the Landesk Agent is not allowed 128 bit encryption it will only negotiate a 64 bit connection. If the Landesk Agent is connecting to the Landesk Management Gateway from a country that allows 128 bit encryption, it will always use 128 bit encryption.

Update: The Management Gateway Appliance (released 11/15/2007) has a option to restrict all requests to 128-bit encryption and is set by default. However, the Appliance will continue to respond to 64-bit requests just to inform the requestor that 64-bit encryption is not allowed.

This is from DOC-1221.

Mark Star - MarXtar LANDesk Enhancements

Home of Power State Notifier & Wake-On-WAN for LANDesk

New Updated Power State Notifier Pro!