4 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2009 8:54 AM by Snowman

Battery check before patches installing

Apprentice

Hey all,

what gonna happens if i try to install a os x patch and while the installing a macbook is only in battery mode and unfortunately the battery gonig empty.

Do the agent check befor the pacht gonna install whether the laptop is not running on battery?

I found nothing about it in my manual.

• 1. Re: Battery check before patches installing
          Employee

The patching will not try and determine anything about power type.  It will simply begin to apply the patches.  I don't know of anywhere that it will attempt to see whether it's plugged in, or on battery, much less determine what level of battery power is left.

• 2. Re: Battery check before patches installing
            SupportEmployee

The Mac agent does not currently do a power check before any kind of software distribution task (including patch manager). I've submitted an enhancement request for you on this feature.

• 3. Re: Battery check before patches installing
              Apprentice

Thank you snowman,

do you you know whta gonna happen while patches installing the syste go in standby modus or shut down or go off?

Do Landesk try it again at the next start?

And there is no protection against crash of the system? if the mac switch-off?

thanks in davcne

• 4. Re: Battery check before patches installing
                SupportEmployee

As far as LANDesk is concerned we will think the task failed.

If the machine is turned off while patching it should still show as vulnerable so you know the machine needs to be patched again.

If the machine goes to sleep (due to low power or whatever) I would think that the patching process would resume when the machine comes back up however in all probability the task would have timed out and it would show as failed if it was a scheduled task. However next time ldpatch runs on the machine it would report that it is not vulnerable so you would know that it applied.

I haven't tried these scenarios but with how the product works that is what I would expect.