2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2017 2:49 AM by sprooney

Heavy use of Service Catalogue and / or knowledge base stops the results pages loading

sprooney Apprentice

We have a fairly large service catalogue and a growing Knowledge Base which for the most part both work totally fine.  However recently (across a few versions of LDSD, current version 2016.1) I have seen that after heavy use parts of the system seem to lock up.

In the case of the Knowledge base, after lots of searches or new articles being created the search facility completely stops, basically never returns results (search at top right of analyst screen).  Enter a search and the page just spins and never even times out.

In the case of the Service Catalogue, after numerous updates (saving of pages) we are still able to search but the save facility seems to be compromised and in the same way on hitting save the page just spins and never saves nor times out.

In both scenarios I have to either recycle the pools or restart IIS on the web server to return the normal functionality.  I tried rebuilding both the KB and SC but this did not change the behaviour.

Does anyone have any ideas on what this could be?  I've trawled the community but seem to be in a unique position.

• 1. Re: Heavy use of Service Catalogue and / or knowledge base stops the results pages loading
          SupportEmployee

Hello,

First, you could try the troubleshooting steps in the following document: Troubleshooting Lucene Knowledgebase

The files may be locked at the time of issue.  If you have multiple frameworks that users connect through, and/or multiple web servers which are load balanced, you could try having a few separate locations for the index files.  Each location would obviously need to be updated after rebuilds.  This may help to reduce the traffic accessing one location, and possible resolve the issue.

Thanks,

Pete Vel

Product Support Engineer

• 2. Re: Heavy use of Service Catalogue and / or knowledge base stops the results pages loading
            sprooney Apprentice

Hi Peter,

thanks for coming back to me on this - I've unfortunately still not managed to find a solution.  The issue has re-appeared this morning.  At the moment it is with the Service Catalogue.  We do have two web servers although one is mainly used as a back up should it be required (was meant to be load balanced but haven't quite got there yet), what I have found this morning is that the back up web server still loads the service catalogue as normal where as the main web server never loads.

Not sure if that offers any other pointers?

They both point to the same free text search location on the application server... I'm now assuming that something is locking up locally on the main web server but not sure what.  I know that a reset of IIS releases whatever is causing the issue.

If you've any further thoughts it'd be appreciated.