4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2017 1:51 PM by 1977-ITGuy

Deploy task during provisioning that allows input

1977-ITGuy Apprentice

I apologize if the title throws folks off.  Here is what I am trying to do.  I have a batch file that basically asks a question (if/then kind of thing) and I need for the provisioning task to display as well as accept input to execute whatever input is entered by our technicians.  Any idea how to accomplish this?  What it does now is it executes the batch file and the cmd window remains blank and nothing is displayed.  I understand this is the norm because its meant to be non interactive but I need for user interaction.

Thoughts?

LD 9.6 SP2

• 1. Re: Deploy task during provisioning that allows input
          Cryan Rookie

You may be able to accomplish this task by utilizing Operating System Provisioning.

Essentially, you would execute a batch file from a Provisioning Task as (Fig. 1)

The first batch file (Fig. 2) would simply call a secondary batch file (Fig. 3)

The first batch file (Fig. 2) has a Taskkill command which terminates the secondary batch file (Fig. 3) depending on the time you specify (for this example I've set it to 30 seconds, but you could set it to whatever you prefer)

The secondary batch file would include the choices for which you require input from the end-user.

You may need to tweak the first batch file to terminate so the end-user isn't required to Close the DOS window themselves.

Hopefully, this assists you in accomplishing the desired task.

Good luck! ;-)

TestBatch-PorvisioningScript.jpg

Fig. 1

TestBatch-StartTestBatch.jpg

Fig. 2

TestBatch-TestBatch.jpg

Fig. 3

• 2. Re: Deploy task during provisioning that allows input
            1977-ITGuy Apprentice

Thanks bdpqwvw, I will give this a try in a day or two and let you know the results.

• 3. Re: Deploy task during provisioning that allows input
              Peteski Apprentice

Can you provide more info on what you're trying to accomplish, in particular before the image is dropped or after it boots in windows? There may be a way to do it before provisioning starts with variables etc. Also, Landesk 9.6 is getting pretty old and there is IF/Else support right in the templates now in Landesk 2016+ as well as computer name prompting etc.

Also, when you boot into Landesk provisioning WinPE you can do a lot of stuff. For example, you can open a console window before the provisioning GUI even starts (or put in a wait action) and run programs like notepad, batch files etc. They can then store values wherever you want and you can refer to them in the provisioning template such as "execute file" on X:\mybatchfileout.txt".

There are other ways to do it as well which is why if you state what you are trying to do, there may be a better way to do it.

• 4. Re: Deploy task during provisioning that allows input
                1977-ITGuy Apprentice

We will hopefully be upgrading our LANDesk server soon.  I haven't had a chance to test the original reply so I will do that now and let everyone know the results.  Thanks.